Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag-gered
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Sump gasket problems

Post by stag-gered »

Hi,

Today's next difficulty. The cork gaskets for the sump in my bottom end set are 6mm x 10-11mm section and straight (not curved, unlike those shown on the Moss website). They are also too long, but that was easily rectified. The 6mm fits into the groove of the sump fine. However, on attempting to fit the sump it is 'rocking' on the curved section at each end and the flat flanges along each side are sitting approx 1/8" above the gasket/block. The sump will not push down into place and I haven't tried to pull it down with the 14 fixing bolts. Is this normal and will it pull down, compressing the cork section? It does appear to be the section size causing the problem and not the projecting ends on the corks. The gasket set is a Midget 948/1098 Conversion Set, supplied by the engineering workshop.

Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Sump gasket problems

Post by philthehill »

See the BMC wksp manual section AA. 34. re the fitting of the cork seals at the font and rear of the sump.
The cork seals are supposed to protrude from the ends of the cork seal groove by 3.2mm each side.
Fit the gaskets that attach to the underside of the block first. These gaskets should be smeared in grease not sealer.
If you have to trim the cork seal to length - trim it square not at an angle.
Smear the cork seal in grease not sealer. Smear the sump cork seal groove with grease not sealer. It does help the cork seal to fit if the seals are soaked overnight in engine oil.
Fit the seals to the sump cork seal groove and fit the sump to the block. The sump will be slightly above the end main caps due to the length of the cork seals but the seals will compress back into the sump cork seal groove helped by the grease. Tighten the sump bolts progressively around the rim of the sump. The end of the cork seal will press on the underside of the block sump gaskets and provide a very good seal.

stag-gered
Minor Friendly

Post by stag-gered »

Thanks. I had followed the manual instructions regarding the size of projecting ends after cutting to length etc., with the exception of soaking the cork seals, but it was not the projecting cork ends holding the sump off the block and worrying me. It was the semi circle of cork in the groove at each end holding it off the arch of the block. This led me to question the cross section of the cork and whether this was going to compress sufficiently into the groove. I have had another look at this morning and the sump is now installed in position and gradual tightening of the bolts has pulled it down into place. On to the rest of the engine ......

Thanks for your help and reassurance again.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

To get the cork seals settled centrally into position and move easily in the sump cork seal groove is why I recommend soaking the cork seal in engine oil and smearing the groove and seal with grease.