Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DoristheMorris1959
MMOC Member: No

Windscreen Wipers

Post by DoristheMorris1959 »

Hi Everyone
I have a 1959 4 dr Saloon which has recently been recommissioned after being dry stored for approx 10 years. It has been lovely to have her back on the road again. However, in the last week she has developed a strange problem - I am unable to start her up without the windscreen wipers also firing up and staying permanently on! The garage has taken the wiper motor apart, cleaned it and rebuilt it but it hasn’t solved the problem.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to possible cause and how to solve it?

Many thanks.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Windscreen Wipers

Post by geoberni »

I've only just seen this. So hello 'Doris'.
DoristheMorris1959 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:49 pm I am unable to start her up without the windscreen wipers also firing up and staying permanently on!
So why did the garage
DoristheMorris1959 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:49 pm The garage has taken the wiper motor apart, cleaned it and rebuilt it
I can't think of any reason why it would, if the symptom is as you state, the wipers are permanently running as soon as you start the car.

I will make the presumption that this constantly running is not affected by the Wipers Switch being turned On/Off. :-?

Having a '56 myself, I don't know if a '59 has Self Park which is perhaps the Rabbit Hole the garage went down, but if the Wipers don't turn off it can only be one of 2 things (assuming the garage rebuilt the Motor correctly). Either the switch is faulty or there is a short to earth on the cable from the Wiper Motor.

On all models, whether self park or not, the Motor has a permanent Live feed, which is picked up at the back of the fuel gauge, or Instrument Voltage stabiliser if so equipped.
The Switch is in the Earth line, just as the Horn uses a switched Earth, not a switched supply.
I'm not familiar with the wiper motor on a 59. I think it only has 2 connections.
But you've either got 2 or 3 wires on your Motor. Disconnect the 1 (or 2) that are not Plain Green. If it still runs, there is an earth fault in the Wiper Motor.
If you reconnect the Black/Green and it runs, there's a fault to earth on that cable OR the switch in the car is permanently made.
Basil the 1955 series II