Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Recon engine codes

Post by Bill_qaz »

Does anyone know what the recon codes mean, I believe, rebore, crank grind etc on silver and gold recon units, I have 8G1 62 so 8G is recon what does the 1 62 signify?
I have the bill for its fitting dated 1998
Regards Bill
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Re: Recon engine codes

Post by Bill_qaz »

Bump
Anyone got an answer? :tu1:
Regards Bill
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As I understand it, there are a lot of codes out there, not all of them corresponding to the official BMC practice, because some would have been done by independent re conditioners, painting them gold to pass off as BMC units. But 8G 162 is a genuine BMC one.

Basil's engine is also an 8G 162 and I've spend a long time trying online to find a definitive list, without much luck.

Basically, 8G is the Gold Seal Rebuild Code and 162 relates to the oversize of the Pistons and Crank.
As 162 appears so much in searches, I'm assuming it was the 'standard' oversize.....
Basil the 1955 series II

Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Thanks, I'd found the 8g reference but was trying to interpret the 1 62 as you say rebore and regrind codes but I can't find an online reference.
Not important but just interested. Mine also has a lead free petrol cylinder head fitted at a later date which I have the records for.
Regards Bill