Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Flaking paint treatment & repair

Post by MorrisJohn »

I think I may be best leaving this one to the professionals, but…I have a small area of paint that’s separated from my bonnet, just around the handle area. See photo below. The rest of the bonnet is excellent.

I want to get this treated and resprayed before too long so as it’ll act as a moisture trap and cause rust.

If I did do it myself, what would the process be? Would the full bonnet need done or could I simply repair the affected area?

I do have cans of the exact paint the car is sprayed in, though I’d intended using them for respraying the wheels.
Attachments
2927BC59-ECCC-4B4F-959B-DE4BE6FF98C9.jpeg
2927BC59-ECCC-4B4F-959B-DE4BE6FF98C9.jpeg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 506 times
B9F4C9BB-CC69-4926-B1EF-013FD703B430.jpeg
B9F4C9BB-CC69-4926-B1EF-013FD703B430.jpeg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 506 times
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Flaking paint treatment & repair

Post by King Kenny »

Looks like some one used the badge to push the bonnet down and concaved the lid. Personally I would do a simple local repair, but I'm not too fussy about the car's appearance. This is what I would do.
Knock the dent out and rub the old paint down any imperfections moving any loose flakes.
Treat with rust converter and fill low parts with flexible filler.
Apply red oxide primer followed by another rub down.
Apply top coat and let it dry completely before final polishing.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks Kenny. I’ve only ever painted underside stuff before so a nice finish has never been a great concern.

The bonnet isn’t actually dented, it looks exactly as it should. Probably just the photos and the way the light is hitting it.

…I may just give it a go.

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

rub it down to get rid of any rust and deep edges put a thin smear of filler over the area,sand that flat with wet and dry, Then carefully mask the area. To do so cover a larger area than you think you need to .Place a strip on masking tape round the area close to the filler edge ,about 1/2" away. Then place another strip of tape ontop, overlapping the first one by about half the thickness of the first tape and overhanging the area to be sprayed ,lift the edge of the top tape,to form cavity all round the area.This alows the paint to fall under the tape to form a very fine edge. If you dont do this you will get a hard thick edge that will take a lot of work to cut back with paste ,use several light coats of primer then top coats.after it has hardened(Could take 24 at this time of year) T cut the area and polish. If you use primer you will need to peel the tape off and move it out to create the same under cavity another 1/2 " away so to form another thin edge to cover the edge of the primer with top coat. A bit of a fiddle but WORTH it to get a good finish.

Alternatively Keep the masking well away from the area 2 or three foot, or none at all, concentrate the paint just onto the repair. You will then get an large area of thin overspray which will need T cutting /polishing off.
The mistake most make if they have not done spot repairs before ,is to simply mask the area ,paint it and then try to cut back the thick hard edge that is produced round the area ......The result, they cut through to the primer,have to give up and leave an obvious ring or start again
When I was involved in body work (No longer thank god) we used to have a tiny spray gun ,very rarely used masking at all and just spot sprayed the area and ran the polisher over the whole panel .
Good Luck.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Your advice is greatly appreciated and I will certainly take it all onboard. I think I’ll also have a look to see if there are any YouTube tutorials that demonstrate the techniques you’re advising. I’m definitely keen to avoid sharp lines.