New Messageboard

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

New Messageboard

Post by simmitc »

Hi all, I am in the final stages of testing the new board. Several regular users have been helping with the testing, but now I need your help to put it through it's paces. Before revealing the link, a few words:
  • It is a copy of the current board up until a few days before the end of January, so don't expect to see topics from yesterday on there yet.
  • Anything that you post in there WILL BE LOST when we make the final changes, for now it is a TEST system.
  • It looks different. We will eventually include more MMOC branding, but for now it will remain as it is so that we can prove that it is working and stable.
  • All photos available from the current board should be visible.
  • Established users can use your existing username and password. Sorry, if you only registered in the last few weeks then those details have not carried over at the moment, but they will when we make the final change.
  • In the breadcrumbs, if you click on <MMOC Home> then it will take you back to the main website. If you then click on <Messageboard> it will take you to the current board, not back to the test one.
Here's a preview:
NMB1.jpg
NMB1.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note the Quick Links towards the top left. This is where you will find things like "New Posts" "Your Posts" etc. As a guest, the options are limited, but after you have logged in, then you get more choice:
NMB2.jpg
NMB2.jpg (27.2 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
I am looking at things like "The Team" and am starting to include some "Active Topics", but apart from that, most things should be working fine. Please try it out and let me know of any problems that you find by email <simon dot mitchell at mmoc.org.uk>. Please put one problem (if any) per email so that it's easy to respond.

So much for the introduction, here's the site: https://board.mmoc.org.uk

Remember, it's a test, continue to post live topics on the current board until we announce that we are moving over to the new one; but play with the new one and have fun. Thanks.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: New Messageboard

Post by Admin »

Ducking for cover lol :x
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:20 am
Established users can use your existing username and password.
But you cannot be logged into both version at the same time.
If you switch between Boards and log in rather than just viewing as a guest, you will have log into each one every time. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

On my machine I can can log in to both boards at once (normal user, not admin/mod) BUT, if I log out of one then it also logs me out of the other. I suspect that is related to cookies.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:34 pm On my machine I can can log in to both boards at once (normal user, not admin/mod) BUT, if I log out of one then it also logs me out of the other. I suspect that is related to cookies.
Interesting, every time I go between them I have to log in again....
Like you say, perhaps it's Cookie related. :-? :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

I'm liking it, similar to other forums I frequent.
For some reason the link simmitc posted took me back here at first.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to board.mmoc.org.uk. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it.

If you are on a corporate network or using anti-virus software, you can reach out to the support teams for assistance. You can also notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more…
Before this thread, I figured we must already have been on the new board, since we had that theme change to the default phpbb the other day and since then I haven't had a single issue with the forum.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

It certainly looks good (and different). The aesthetics aside, as long as it's a stable platform then I'll be happy.

Thanks to everyone who has made this possible.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Chief, are you saying that you got that certificate error on the new site today? If yes, then can you please clear your cache and try again. I've checked FF and Chrome on Windows and Android, and all OK.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

On the test board, Berni commented
Now when we get some additional smilies included we can get really expressive...
I've added a thumbs up on the test board - easy now that we have control. It's not the best icon, but works. If anyone has specific smilies that they would like available in the new board, then please send them to me by email and I will add them in. Remember, the images will be small, typically around 15 - 20 pixels square and the files should be .jpg, .gif etc, not as big as this:.
icon_thumbs up.jpg
icon_thumbs up.jpg (10.88 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Just to say, I'm still getting the error today, Windows 10 Home x64, latest FF.

I don't have any cache to clear as I have FF set to automatically clear it, history etc. on browser exit and I did try a fresh session yesterday (to make sure nothing cached from this board interfered connecting to the other) before posting the message. Clicking Advanced on the certificate error yields:
Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust board.mmoc.org.uk because its certificate issuer is unknown, the certificate is self-signed, or the server is not sending the correct intermediate certificates.
Mozillas support page suggested testing the site to see what the issue was:
https://www.ssllabs.com/analyze.html?d= ... .uk&latest
which results in:
This server's certificate chain is incomplete. Grade capped to B.

Out of interest I then tried this current board, and the result was also Grade B, but in its' case it was because:
This server supports TLS 1.1. Grade capped to B.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chief wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:55 am Just to say, I'm still getting the error today, Windows 10 Home x64, latest FF.
Very strange.
I also use Firefox, latest version currently 97.0.1 (64Bit), on a Win10 Home 64 Bit version PC and don't have any Security Threat messages with the site.
Ive been in and out of both Message Boards like a yo-yo for several days; my problem is that when I Log In to one board, it's logging me out of the other one, but I don't see that as an issue because there will only be one in the near future.

perhaps your FF Security Settings are set stricter. :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

Rhodrich
Minor Friendly

Post by Rhodrich »

As a request, would it be possible to change the settings on the new board so that users receive an email telling them that they've received a PM? I see that this is something that can be set in someone's control panel, but is turned off by default.

I'm currently trying to get in touch with two users who haven't logged in for a while, as they have information on my car, but they have no way of knowing that they have PM's unless they log into the board.

Many thanks.
1952 MM Tourer
1964 VW Split Microbus
1965 Mercedes 230SL
Err... 2008 Honda FR-V
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Also, once the new site is up and running, please could we have clarification on how we go about uploading signature pictures onto it. Thanks.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Des911
Minor Friendly

Post by Des911 »

Rhodrich wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:18 pm As a request, would it be possible to change the settings on the new board so that users receive an email telling them that they've received a PM? I see that this is something that can be set in someone's control panel, but is turned off by default.

I'm currently trying to get in touch with two users who haven't logged in for a while, as they have information on my car, but they have no way of knowing that they have PM's unless they log into the board.

Many thanks.
I get an email when I get a PM, maybe you're missing a tick or untick somewhere.
1958 4 door Black
Rhodrich
Minor Friendly

Post by Rhodrich »

Des911 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:46 am
Rhodrich wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:18 pm As a request, would it be possible to change the settings on the new board so that users receive an email telling them that they've received a PM? I see that this is something that can be set in someone's control panel, but is turned off by default.

Many thanks.
I get an email when I get a PM, maybe you're missing a tick or untick somewhere.
There is a tick box in your control panel, but it's not checked by default- I've had to manually tick mine to ensure I get email notifications. My request is that it's ticked by default.
1952 MM Tourer
1964 VW Split Microbus
1965 Mercedes 230SL
Err... 2008 Honda FR-V
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Answer to change the default is "yes". I will add it to the list. Once the migration is complete, then I'll start a register of requests. I can't promise that we'll do everything, and can't do everything immediately, but we will have more flexibility and be more responsive than with the present arrangement.

Rhodrich. if you PM me the usernames of the two people you're trying to reach then I'll see if I can email them for you.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

jagnut66 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:23 pm Also, once the new site is up and running, please could we have clarification on how we go about uploading signature pictures onto it.
Would certainly be nicer to have them hosted by the forum than external hosts :)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Heads up: If testing goes OK over the next few days then we will aim to make the transfer on Thursday 24th Feb. Confirmation nearer the time.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Would certainly be nicer to have them hosted by the forum than external hosts :)
Plus people wouldn't have to worry about ongoing subscriptions to said external host sites, in order for you to be 'allowed' to continuously view your own pictures!?! :evil:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)