Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New Messageboard

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:23 pm Also, once the new site is up and running, please could we have clarification on how we go about uploading signature pictures onto it. Thanks.
Best wishes,
Mike.
I'm not sure about Signature Images, the other Board I frequent also requires Signature Images to be hosted elsewhere and included using the Insert Image URL button from the row above the text box...
What's weird is that I've just copied the line from my Signature in my Control Panel and it's appeared here as a different size to the Signature version....

But what we don't have here, or in the new version at present, is the ability to include Avatars.
I shall drop an email to Simon about them.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I'm not sure about Signature Images, the other Board I frequent also requires Signature Images to be hosted elsewhere and included using the Insert Image URL button from the row above the text box...
Oh, well.... Perhaps that's why Simmitc hasn't responded then......
Shame really, it would make it so much easier for members if they could upload them in the same way as we do pictures into posts, namely straight from our own PC's.
Personally I can't see why they have to be 'hosted' first.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I've already enabled avatars (before seeing above comments) on the new board, but remember that it is test and will be overwritten when we complete the migration.

I have also enabled images in sigs and been trying a few ideas. It's a requirement of the software that the image is hosted where it can be found by URL. I have got an idea about setting up a folder on our server where those images could be hosted BUT any development of that will be a low priority as there's other stuff to do too. Also, there are some issues about image size and security to allow everyone to upload, so it may not be possible.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

I've been kept busy of late dealing with various dramas on our other social media platforms and more than happy to leave Simon following up on the board transfer details, but I have been keeping an eye here too lol so I thought I'd drop in on this particular element. Signature images HAVE to be referenced by their web address, it's a limitation within the software, even the later version that we're now hopefully using. What that means is you can't actually upload a sig file in the box for signatures, which is obviously a bit annoying.

The previous solution was to have a topic which exists purely for members to upload photos to, and then to copy the address of that image to their sig file. So, in the topic 'Sig images only', you'd 'answer' the post and include your image as an attachment, PHPBB will upload it to display in that post, and then you'll right click your image and select 'open image in new tab' which will give you the actual address that your image lives at, and then you'd copy that address and paste it in your sig line which should then show your image. As you can see, that's a bit 'clunky', but as Simon has just said, there are significant security issues to just allowing anyone to upload pictures into a folder on our webspace.

To be honest, Simons magnificent works to date are about getting the board secure and reliable (note that our current 'real' board was down again twice yesterday) and sig images isn't really a massive priority. However, for some people it is a significant annoyance in not being able to do it easily. It isn't a massive amount of people that need it done too, so I'll say this - if we don't get a solution that I'm happy with in security terms by the time the new board is running, I'll commit to manually doing that process for anyone who wants it done and changing your signature file for you as long as you supply me a suitable picture. That work okay for you guys?
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

That work okay for you guys?
Thanks Mike.
What heading is 'Sig images only' listed under? Off Topic?
No rush now anyway, might as well wait until the new site is up and running.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:05 pm I've already enabled avatars (before seeing above comments) on the new board, but remember that it is test and will be overwritten when we complete the migration.

Hi
The reason I mentioned Avatars was because I'd not seen it enabled on the new board, and I still can't see it this morning. :-?
I'm only seeing the same 4 options as this current board offers.
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Just to say, I'm still unable to access the site through FF due to the Intermediate Certificate Errors.

Some stuff was passed over PM/email, so for anyone wondering, all my own troubleshooting points to it not being an issue my end since external test sites return errors with the site certificates.

That and so far:
Custom settings FF, Windows 10 - certificate error.
Custom settings FF, Debian 11 - certificate error.
Default settings (Fresh FF install) - certificate error.
Microsoft Edge (Chromium edition - with very strict security settings since I don't use Edge) - loads the new site without complaint.

Who knew that Mozilla was more security concious than Microsoft :lol:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I am looking at this for you.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Thanks, figured I'd better mention it again since I know you were hoping to go live tomorrow.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Yours is the only report of this problem, and as you have a work around (different browser or accept the risk) we are going to proceed with the migration this morning, but I hope to have a better solution for you later today.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I don't know when "later today" was, but since around 10-10:30 I'm on with no certificate errors :) (though at the times I tried it was still a migration message or I'd have posted sooner).
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

This reminded me of what used to happen regularly here
Screenshot 2022-05-20 193158.png
Screenshot 2022-05-20 193158.png (233.29 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Touch wood, the new messageboard is now more reliable then eBay :D

Regards John