Poor heater output after long time off road.

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Poor heater output after long time off road.

Post by James k »

Hi,

Having got my Traveller back after over 18 months off road, the heater doesn't seem as good as I remember. Is it possible that it being unused for so long has led to it being blocked or furred up or similar? If so, I'll try flushing the system out and see if that improves things. I don't think I'm just misrembering how good it was!

It also seems like it accumulated some primer dust from when it was repainted as it blasted a load inside the speedo when I first switched it on. Now I have to add cleaning out the speedo to the maintanence list!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Poor heater output after long time off road.

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, flush it out. It may be the whole cooling system needs flushing and it may be worth taking the heater out to shake it up a bit and loosen any crap in there and then flush again.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I had a similar experience with one of my cars. The radiator was fairly new and I changed the water pump, thermostat and flushed the heater matrix all to no avail. Finally I changed the heater valve (late 1098cc car) and the heat output was transformed! Although the valve appeared to open and close correctly, it had got blocked inside and simply wasn't letting hot water through in sufficient quantity. In good condition and with everything working well, the Minor's heating is perfectly adequate but there are several items which can deteriorate and lead to poor performance. The heater hoses (and that little by-pass hose) are worth changing from time to time too :wink:
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I'll give the heater a blast out when the weather clears up then. The heater valve is stuck open so it's on all the time. I've been planning on fitting an alternative arrangement that actually bypasses the heater rather than simply blocking the flow. I haven't come up with an ideal system yet, though.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Sleeper »

There was a post , not too long ago about fitting a Ford? bypass set-up .... I was going to go down that route , bought the valve , checked it out and overhauled it but never continued with it.

Seemed like a good idea .

I'll dig it out if you want?

Maybe someone can remember the post?

John ;-)

Edit.

Found a listing on Fleabay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113874582915 ... SwlB1fvOzA
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

There is a brass cable operated diverter valve widely available but I remember reading that it was poor quality. I started thinking about the idea in Summer 2018 when I was driving a long distance and ended up bypassing the heater with a length of hose to stop the heat in the cab. I was then able to use the blower to get cold air into the cab which was surprisingly effective. I don't think you can ever achieve that with the standard setup, plus you get the added bonus of keeping the water flow around the head.

I remember seeing the Ford electrically operated valve and thinking it looked like a good idea. I never got round to it, though. Maybe this summer I'll manage! I also thought of just fitting a lever operated ball diverter valve in the engine bay.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I fitted this one on my MG. It is quite good.
https://www.t7design.co.uk/brass-heater ... 3-64c.html
Regards
Declan
Attachments
Heater control valve 1.jpg
Heater control valve 1.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1197 times
Heater control valve 2.jpg
Heater control valve 2.jpg (866.46 KiB) Viewed 1197 times

Regards
Declan
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I have installed a 3 way valve on my van. This allows the water to continue around the loop when the heater is isolated. It's been in place now for a 3 years and has worked well.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Thanks for the pictures, Declan. What is the small stub pipe on the plate for?

Mowogg, which three way valve did you fit?

Thanks
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

James,
That is the the cylinder head plate for the XPAG engine on the MG TD. I have them laser cut in stainless steel and fit a heater take-off. The one in the photo is BMS. They were also fitted on XPEG and XPAW engines.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I had a go at flushing the matrix out earlier. I flushed it with a hosepipe several times in both directions but it seemed to be flowing clear and clean. Driving it afterwards, it still wasn't working. I then took it on a two hour drive and about half an hour in, it suddenly started working properly. I assume that whatever was blocking it, perhaps in the heater valve, must have come free.

After that, it was back to its usual burning hot self and I wished after a while that it would stop working again!

When the weather warms up a bit, I'll service the heater properly and sort the valve out so that it can actually be controlled. For the moment though, it looks like it will keep me warm.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

The valve I used was a taxi. If you search on ebay you can find them
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

If you fit a bypass valve is there any reason why you could not also remove / block the bypass to the water pump like they did on the A+ that should further improve the heater especially at low engine speeds such as around town.