Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grabsplatter
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Air filters

Post by Grabsplatter »

It just occurred to me that, as Morris changed the Minor air filter a few times, is any one type actually better in any way than the others?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Air filters

Post by philthehill »

The early oil filled air filters are better in dusty conditions - the paper air filters are perfectly adequate for use in temperate climates.

The oil filled air filters do not actually filter the air in a similar way to the paper air filter element where all air to the carb passes through the paper element - they act much more as a centrifuge separating the dust and grime from the air which is then caught by the oil bath.

johngrigg
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by johngrigg »

Interesting Phil. Does this mean that the old oilbaths are less restrictive than paper element filters ?
Cheers JohnG
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would say from experience that the oil bath oil filter is not as restrictive as the paper air filter.
There was originally an oil bath oil filter on my 1958 Minor which was removed and a bell mouth fitted directly to the carb and I did not see any improvement in performance but the bell mouth looked great and it was easier to get to the rockers for adjustment.
I also had oil bath oil filters on my Landcovers which in principle were similar to the Minor oil bath filter and never saw or felt that there was a restrictive air flow through those oil bath oil filters.