Attachments
F785250A-68BA-489F-ABDD-9F57DE6860E9.jpeg
F785250A-68BA-489F-ABDD-9F57DE6860E9.jpeg (618.72 KiB) Viewed 951 times
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ebay

Post by nutmegct »

Ah, remember the good ol' days, when ebay was mostly individuals buying and selling used things, usually one at a time? Not mass marketing and flipping. And their recent requirement for sellers to share their bank information directly with ebay is another reason I'm hardly on ebay anymore.
yeesh
alawrence10360
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by alawrence10360 »

I’m not convinced it’s kosher
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

It isn't.
Just look at their "other items". Who do you think has over 1000 cars for sale on ebay all with photos taken at different locations and all with very poor descriptions. It is all footballs and it's about time ebay did something about it :x

I didn't type "footballs" . I typed a different word which has clearly been censored :lol:
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

If you read that advertisement, it's clearly someone just using ebay to promote their own listing "service". I call them aggregators; they scan the 'net for cars on sale, then copy links to their own sales page. Sometimes with seller's permission - sometimes without. They're like "Streetside Classics" on the USA ebay site.

Funny, They're advertising someone else's cars. And stand to make a killing if someone takes the bait.

I'm a dyed - in the wool - curmudgeon. Anyone buying a car "sight unseen and untouched" over the 'net should have his head examined.

OK - back to my cave.
Tom M.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

nutmegct wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:37 pm Ah, remember the good ol' days, when ebay was mostly individuals buying and selling used things, usually one at a time? Not mass marketing and flipping. And their recent requirement for sellers to share their bank information directly with ebay is another reason I'm hardly on ebay anymore.
yeesh
Ah, remember the really good ol' days before EBay when you could pore over the pages of 'Exchange and Mart' for cars and all other things! 8)
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

These listings are out and out scams. Don't touch 'em with an extended barge pole! :D

They appear and reappear every week or so. Why eBay can't take them down immediately is beyond me. As I said in a similar post some time ago, a pal of mine needed to sell his beehive + bees, which he put on eBay quite innocently. Within 30 minutes he was messaged by eBay to take it down, as it is not permissible to sell 'animals and pets'.

Hmmm? If eBay had the will to do take these scam listings down immediately, I'm sure it could be done......but do they have the will?
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

I'm not a member of Ebay UK, just Ebay USA.

The USA site lets us flag a possibly bogus ad soon as we see it. It's usually taken down within 24 hours.

Does the Ebay UK site allow its members to flag (or report) ads?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

nutmegct wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:32 pm I'm not a member of Ebay UK, just Ebay USA.

The USA site lets us flag a possibly bogus ad soon as we see it. It's usually taken down within 24 hours.

Does the Ebay UK site allow its members to flag (or report) ads?
Yes it does.
The page is the same over here. The very listing that alawrence10360 has posted about....
ebay.JPG
ebay.JPG (123.51 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Just click 'Report Item', but the point is that when these people post 100s of items the same day it should ring alarm bells. These sites have enough algorithms running to assess data.
This Seller has 1,799 items, Cars, Quads, Trailers, RV, Excavators, Motor Cycles and the ilk, all uploaded at the same time as they all have the same End Time!

They have apparently been an ebay member since 23 Jul, 2017. :-? :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

geoberni wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:35 pm

They have apparently been an ebay member since 23 Jul, 2017. :-? :-?
The fraudster has hi-jacked the account of the person who is the long-term member :wink:
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Just looks dodgy.seen similar on eBay before.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[quote=

Ah, remember the really good ol' days before EBay when you could pore over the pages of 'Exchange and Mart' for cars and all other things! 8)
[/quote]
Yes first thing Thursday morning !! :D. I think it cost 4p !

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

For those too young to know about the Exchanger and Mart here is a copy for sale on 'e' bay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403451036479 ... Sw0dph~YDh
Les
Even the old copies seem to fetching about £7 per copy.
Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Who would have thought it ! I have however, kept the advert from the edition in which my current car appeared in. (July 1998.) Apparently Exchange and Mart was in paper form from 1868 to 2009.

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I had an uncle who used to read it front to back every week ,don't think he ever bought anything,just liked to read it :o :o