Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Parcel Shelf

Post by Andyhereford »

The car (four door saloon) is almost back on the road. Not perfect but not too bad and it has certainly kept me sane during all these lockdowns.
It has at present not got a parcel shelf and I would like to fit one.
I am fairly happy about being able to make up the shelf itself but can’t really get my head around the shape of the brackets that attaches it to the scuttle pans (?). Any comments or photograph would be much appreciated. Thanks.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Parcel Shelf

Post by ManyMinors »

There are no brackets as such. There is a bar from one side to the other. ESM list a new one or you could search for a secondhand one. It is basically a length of angled steel with ends welded on which a screw goes through. Hard to explain any other way. Perhaps somebody has a photo!
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

I made up my own and wish I hadn’t. Sod of a thing to bend the mill board, especially the outmost folds. And what a job to fit in place single handed!

Once installed it looks ok though.
Attachments
C15907A0-9062-48BB-BC42-44C8BF12AD5A.jpeg
C15907A0-9062-48BB-BC42-44C8BF12AD5A.jpeg (3.45 MiB) Viewed 653 times
Andyhereford
Minor Friendly

Post by Andyhereford »

Thanks to both of your replies. I think that I will just get the bits from ESM after all.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

That might be the easiest thing. Make sure you purchase the correct screws to secure the metal bar.
As you say, it is fitted into the scuttle panels. Behind them is a mounting containing captive nuts with a 1/4"BSF thread, so that is the size you'll need the screws to be :wink:
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

This is the spacer that fits between the ends of the shelf bar and the scuttle panels.
Attachments
IMG_20220204_142416.jpg
IMG_20220204_142416.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 606 times

taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Boomlander wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:30 pm This is the spacer that fits between the ends of the shelf bar and the scuttle panels.
Yes!

but only on some cars..... refer to parts list :-?

Taupe
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The spacer is also available from ESM.
It was originally a component in the aftermarket "heater kit".
When that model was first introduced, the heater was still an optional extra and cars which left the factory with no heater had the parcel shelf in the upper position of the 2 provided in the car body. That is why there are 2 different captive nuts behind the scuttle trim panel - and why even now, a new scuttle trim panel has the alternative holes.
If you fitted a heater kit later, you had to lower the parcel shelf and because the car interior is slightly wider as you get lower, the spacers become necessary to fill the gap.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

There you go! :)