Do you guys feel safe driving your Moggy??

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Do you guys feel safe driving your Moggy??

Post by cococola »

A couple of years ago a transit connect cut across me and dented the front wing on my Traveller leaving more damage to his side/rear quarter. I think our cars are more solid than some of the modern cars, the problem that I find is that you have to think ahead for the other drivers pulling out too soon without considering how fantastic our brakes are 🤦‍♂️
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

You can see where he hit me :(

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Having owned Meggie for nearly a year now and having driven large vans for work for the past 20 years, I can say that both me and my good lady feel more than safe when out and about.
She is driven as much as possible as this is our only car on all roads and so far we have only experienced the usual hazards of day to day driving which as stated earlier we are more aware of the car and surroundings. I also find that we both adapt to the demands of driving a classic car due to the fact that you have to drive these cars which again raises your all round awareness, but ultimately if you are not comfortable it is probably best move onto a different car.
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

:roll:
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

cococola wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:22 pm I think our cars are more solid than some of the modern cars,
This is absolutely not the case, the effect of Euro NCP has made a 30mph accident into something solid something that people walk away from. If you ever get to look at the monocoque of the modern vehicle there is reinforcement after reinforcement in all the critical areas, designed crumple zones and other sacrificial parts of the structure.

To see the difference this has made, see the famous Rover 100 crash test that made the front page of The Sun in the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNpRiOx ... eelNetwork

Now look at a Mercedes EQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBD4Qli ... l=EuroNCAP

No safety cell intrusion, no knackered legs pinning you into the footwell, and the side impact is something incredible to achieve in such a short distance to the occupants.

Now think back to the Rover, is has 30 years on the Morris as far as safety goes, and it was STILL pathetic. The only thing I can think of that Morris changed in its lifetime as far as safety goes was the steering column mount, which folds away, but apart from that, there is nothing.

Also think that after the war, metal was not cheap, we had to build em high and sell em low, a lot of the steel used in the Morris is exceptionally thin, add years of corrosion and repairs into it and it is not even going to perform as well as when it was new.

If you don't think it is safe, don't drive, but for me, life is too short, and my son likes it round Christmas time as it gets decorated with tinsel and a wreath -it makes people smile (this last bit added in case any of you think I am a grumpledumpling).
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Beautifully put - totally agree :D
Bowie69 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:30 pm
cococola wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:22 pm I think our cars are more solid than some of the modern cars,
This is absolutely not the case, the effect of Euro NCP has made a 30mph accident into something solid something that people walk away from. If you ever get to look at the monocoque of the modern vehicle there is reinforcement after reinforcement in all the critical areas, designed crumple zones and other sacrificial parts of the structure.

To see the difference this has made, see the famous Rover 100 crash test that made the front page of The Sun in the 90s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNpRiOx ... eelNetwork

Now look at a Mercedes EQ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBD4Qli ... l=EuroNCAP

No safety cell intrusion, no knackered legs pinning you into the footwell, and the side impact is something incredible to achieve in such a short distance to the occupants.

Now think back to the Rover, is has 30 years on the Morris as far as safety goes, and it was STILL pathetic. The only thing I can think of that Morris changed in its lifetime as far as safety goes was the steering column mount, which folds away, but apart from that, there is nothing.

Also think that after the war, metal was not cheap, we had to build em high and sell em low, a lot of the steel used in the Morris is exceptionally thin, add years of corrosion and repairs into it and it is not even going to perform as well as when it was new.

If you don't think it is safe, don't drive, but for me, life is too short, and my son likes it round Christmas time as it gets decorated with tinsel and a wreath -it makes people smile (this last bit added in case any of you think I am a grumpledumpling).
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

When my daughter was approaching driving age I was offered a free Metro needing a few odd jobs. I’m glad I didn’t bother after seeing that!

We all have to decide what risks we are prepared to accept. As I approach 70 I still enjoy motorcycling. The armchair can wait.
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Yep, to be fair, small cars back then we're all much of a muchness, remember the Citroen AX? Complete featherweight with fibreglass panels, I'd imagine that would fair very poorly indeed.

The GT was a fast little thing though!
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Here's a Saxo, for comparison :

https://youtu.be/9a8PTeFDaYU
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

Yes. Disc brakes allow me to stop easily.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Old vs new:
I'm still reeling from the fact they deliberately totalled what looked to be a really nice 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air.............. :o
Unbelievable. :(
Personally I'd rather avoid a head on smash in anything, full stop.
No matter how good they state their various levels of protection are there's still the chance you still won't wake up this side of the pearly gates.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Yes, a bit astounding, was a lovely car.

No crash is good, but I know what I would rather be in.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

A waste of a nice old car, and for a result that was entirely predictable.
mikec4193
Minor Friendly

Post by mikec4193 »

I remember my father telling us kids that one of the reasons he made us drive his Mercedes Benz cars that even back in 1968 those cars already had crumple zones built into them...I was spoiled and I never knew it...

Thanks for posting those videos...I think I had seen the part with old Chevy and the newer Chevy...crazy how bad that old Chevy folded up...that solid steering column...I bet that would have been a fatal jab to the chest...

Where I live older cars are such a bulls eye for crazy drivers...I have had close calls with ever one of the older heaps I have rebuilt and then driven...

If I stick to early Sunday mornings to church and back...that seems to be the most "safe" time for me...

MikeC
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Isn't installing side-impact bars in the doors a requirement in Australia? I've often considered getting something welded in there.

Regardless, primarily driving a 'Moggie' since I began, eight or so years ago, has made me drive slowly and defensively in all vehicles. The closest I've gotten to something nasty in the Minor was when somebody slammed their brakes on in front of me from about 50mph to turn into a garden centre very, very late (perhaps I was too close as well). Not having time to slow at all I reflexively swerved and went around them, thankfully they spotted me or dithered and didn't turn into or in front of me. What struck me then is how the car stayed completely stable throughout the manoeuvre - not a hint of a skid or a wobble. Expensive tyres, good alignment and fresh damper oil likely saved us a lot of pain and bother that day.

Since then I've driven even more conservatively! I wouldn't say I feel unsafe except on the "smart "(penny-pinching) motorways - break down there and you're at the mercy of everyone else being aware and sensible.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Monty-4 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:11 am Isn't installing side-impact bars in the doors a requirement in Australia? I've often considered getting something welded in there.

Regardless, primarily driving a 'Moggie' since I began, eight or so years ago, has made me drive slowly and defensively in all vehicles. The closest I've gotten to something nasty in the Minor was when somebody slammed their brakes on in front of me from about 50mph to turn into a garden centre very, very late (perhaps I was too close as well). Not having time to slow at all I reflexively swerved and went around them, thankfully they spotted me or dithered and didn't turn into or in front of me. What struck me then is how the car stayed completely stable throughout the manoeuvre - not a hint of a skid or a wobble. Expensive tyres, good alignment and fresh damper oil likely saved us a lot of pain and bother that day.

Since then I've driven even more conservatively! I wouldn't say I feel unsafe except on the "smart "(penny-pinching) motorways - break down there and you're at the mercy of everyone else being aware and sensible.
There’s a balance though, the irony being that if you drive too slowly, you actually end up at greater risk of having (or causing) an accident as people don’t expect you to be travelling that slowly. I drive to the conditions and generally don’t hold anyone up when I’m driving my Minors (unless it’s the sidevalve!). It’s all about anticipation, as someone said earlier.

Totally agree with you on ‘smart’ motorways, though - that’s the one type of road I always feel slightly apprehensive on, especially if I’ve got the little ones in the car as they wouldn’t be able to bail out as quickly as me if we broke down…
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Totally agree with you on ‘smart’ motorways, though - that’s the one type of road I always feel slightly apprehensive on, especially if I’ve got the little ones in the car as they wouldn’t be able to bail out as quickly as me if we broke down…
Which is the point we have all been trying to make about (so called) 'smart' motorways in the other post, it wouldn't matter what you were driving: 'Smart' motorways are the real death trap waiting to happen, something none of us have any control over.........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
mikec4193
Minor Friendly

Post by mikec4193 »

this sums it up for sure...
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I've always said that people would drive better if they had a dagger in the centre of the steering wheel than an airbag :o