Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Bonnet release

Post by MorrisJohn »

I’ve been having trouble with my bonnet release. Difficulty in the bonnet opening when the release is pulled.

On investigation the release “arm” mechanism is catching on the top radiator securing bolt. It moves in the direction shown by the arrow, with the bolt circled. This conflict means it’s not pulling far enough for the bonnet to pop up.

Does the current set up look correct (can’t remember from previous cars) and any ideas on the most straightforward fix? I don’t want to end up with a bonnet I can’t open.
Attachments
C00D4B4E-BCBB-42C5-B10F-8F62BECAA3A1.jpeg
C00D4B4E-BCBB-42C5-B10F-8F62BECAA3A1.jpeg (681.2 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Bonnet release

Post by KeithL »

I have attached a picture of our 1959 Traveller. Our pivot point seems to be further away from the radiator bolt than yours and less of the arm can be seen protruding from the hole. Even when our lever is fully retracted the arm doesn't come close to the bolt head.

I notice that you have a cross-head screw/bolt as your pivot. Has the old hole worn too big and a new one has been drilled? My arm is slightly higher than yours because I replaced the pivot pin with a screw arrangement that stops the supporting metalwork flexing. You could perhaps do something similar which might give you enough height to miss the bolt head?
Attachments
DSC00169.JPG
DSC00169.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1260 times
DSC09107.JPG
DSC09107.JPG (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1260 times

mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

I'm struggling to relate what you have on your car , compared to the " normal " set up
https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/79-bonnet-fittings

Your picture shows ( ? ) a rubber sleeve + cable tie, with a spring underneath it ? The 90 degree arm held by a Phillips screw , looks a bit like item 24. On the parts diagram this piece , which is pivoted , turns the pull action from the drives seat, through 90 degree to the rod item 23. This is attached to the slider catch item 25.The slider catch is returned to it's rest position by the spring item 18 , covered by a rubber sleeve item 19.
My take on it is that a previous owner has concocted his own version. If it is fouling the radiator fixing bolt then
a correct release action is not going to happen.
Instead of a fixed pivot point in the driver's side of the engine bay apperture i.e extreme front left hand side looking at the windscreen...your main rod item 26 has possibly been bent , a bit diagonally to get to the bonnet release catch area.
I suspect the shorter rod item 23 is missing completely from your set up. No wonder it is not working efficiently.

The FIX would be to acquire the missing parts , some may have to be second hand ( check out the usual suppliers ) and the rest new. The whole set up of your missing bits , second hand , might work out to be a better deal. You can but ask. Nothing too difficult to do if you're handy with the spanners. Put plenty of grease on the slider mechanism.
Bob
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The picture of MorrisJohn's car seems to show a completely non-standard arrangement. As others have suggested, it would be worthwhile obtaining the correct parts and fitting it all back together as original.
I attach a picture just taken of that area on my own car which is completely unmodified and has worked perfectly adequately all these years!
Attachments
Bonnet release.JPG
Bonnet release.JPG (266.74 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks for the replies gents. It’s clearly a bodge. On further inspection the bolt holding it in place is far too short and not even secured at the bottom! See photos. No wonder it’s hardly working.

I’m not sure why there is electrical tape around where the spring connects to the rod either…suppose I should remove it and find out.
Attachments
63027618-F944-4B4C-A8FB-A7CADD581EC6.jpeg
63027618-F944-4B4C-A8FB-A7CADD581EC6.jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 1236 times
6EC084B7-73BA-4E17-97E3-EC2636C6BCD5.jpeg
6EC084B7-73BA-4E17-97E3-EC2636C6BCD5.jpeg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 1236 times

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Let's hope that whoever carried out those repairs never rewired the car or overhauled the brakes :o
I think with a few replacement parts that'll be a fairly easy fix. Nothing seems to have been permanently altered. I'd suggest sorting it out asap because you don't want to find it has all fallen to bits and left you unable to open the bonnet one day......
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

It should be Item No 38 Tear Drop Bracket ,for locating the main return spring......but if it was there and operating correctly ,why would you need black tape ? Maybe the rod is not "round ".
A voyage of discovery.
Bob
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks again for the help. I’ll get it sorted.

To be fair to the previous owner, the car was his pride and joy and he obviously looked after it. He was an active MMOC member and he’s a nice guy…so I’m not knocking him. He had it restored by a garage and the electrics also look professionally done. He stripped and rebuilt the engine himself, which has done 18k miles since and is sweet as a nut.

Just sorting out some little niggles, which will include a complete brake overhaul, before the spring.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I suspect the tape was fitted as a means of trying to maintain tension on the spring, but it shouldn't really be necessary.... :-?
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I did something similar to Keith’s set up using a 5M pan head screw with a couple of washers and lock nuts. I applied some general purpose grease to the catch mechanism, removed the tape (which served no apparent purpose) and I’m pleased to say it’s now working perfectly.

Thanks for the help gents.