highway code

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: highway code

Post by alanworland »

Ok the Highway Code has changed but as I understand it it is a recommended code of practice, not law.

Alan
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Owlsman »

For me, absolutely nothing has changed with these new HC rules.

When I'm out on my bike, I will treat all drivers as irresponsible idiots.......and when I'm driving, you've guessed it......I will treat all cyclists as irresponsible idiots! When I'm a pedestrian wanting to cross the road, I will look right, look left and right again and cross only if I consider it is safe to do so. Simples! :)

If I end up under the wheels of a pantechnicon, the next time I approach a roundabout on my bike, at that particular moment I am sure I won't be overly concerned as to the legal rights and wrongs of the situation. :roll:
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

There has been a lot of rubbish, call it fake news if you prefer, circulating around Morris Minor groups online concerning the recent changes to the UK Highway Code, and the legal status of the Code.

According to the Introduction to the Highway Code on the UK government's website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway ... troduction:
  • "Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’"
A quick google research will reveal plenty of advice developed from government sources, e.g. on the RAC website:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/lega ... le-ignore/
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

The new rule about pedestrians at junctions reads “At a junction, you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you’re turning.“

Should. Not must.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

as a long ,very long time road cyclist ,Here my take on it. Over the years I have lost count of the number of times I have been forced into the verge ,by cars overtaking me against oncoming traffic on two lane roads.
On five occasions I have had my right hand clipped by wing mirrors . Had numerous cars pull out of side roads in front of me, and the same overtake and turn left forcing emergency braking.
The law is clear that you should not overtake ANYTHING unless it is safe to do so,yet they do . The problem being that if faced with a head on collision is that driver going to risk that or swerve left in to the cyclist. No prize for the correct answer.
For many years the cycling clubs Local and national have advocated riding two abreast on two lane road to prevent dangerous overtaking. I agree that some groups of cyclist will cause aggravation by insisting on their ,now legal, rights and I condemn them fully for deliberately doing so. There is no reason why they shouldn't ease over but in a group of 6 or seven if they string out single file then it makes an overtake much more dangerous since it takes longer to get through ,so no solution to that.(I gave up group riding for that very reason several years ago)
Anything that makes the roads safer has to a good thing,if a car hits a car the car gets damaged but the driver stands some chance of avoiding injury,if a car hits a cyclist or pedestrian there's a fair chance of death or serious injury. It will be interesting to see is there is much change in driver behaviour ,I very much doubt it.
End of sermon, Happy overtaking :o
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

kennatt wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:02 am Here my take on it.
A very measured and accurate picture of what life is like for a considerate cyclist.

I can relate. My father-in-law is a keen cyclist, and now in his 70s, but only cycles now in the early hours of the morning so as to avoid traffic. Twice he has been knocked off his bike at junctions, both times ending up unconscious and in hospital.

The last time it was a car pulling out a junction onto a straight road. The driver didn’t look properly to her right. She left her details with someone but disappeared before the police arrived. The police did nothing. She wasn’t charged. She even had the audacity to contact my father-in-law to request compensation for the damage to the driver’s side of her car…as if he were somehow to blame! My gut feeling is she was probably under the influence at the time, as the junction the car pulled out of leads to a country club…where ladies like to lunch!

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

A point here, cyclists should be forced to wear high-viz clothing, or at least a top. Also the use of lights should be enforced.
And any caught not doing so should be stopped by police and charged when caught.
The amount I've seen cycling around in dark clothing with no lights, especially after dark, makes me wonder how more of them aren't killed.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

There are not enough police officers Mike.

As stated in a previous thread, there are now estimated to be ONE MILLION illegal E-scooters in use in the UK.

It is no good making new laws if there are not enough police officers to enforce them.

The police rely on dash cam and helmet cam footage.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

burglaries and theft, are a lot more important and they can't even attend to take detail,let alone investigate,so no chance of enforcing cyclist
with no lights.
Its not a new thing for instance I was a police officer for 33 years I transferred from rural station in 1975 to a main large town,On my first Night shift in the parade room there were twenty officers given various duties and info re hot spots for crime to look out for.I gained promotion and for the last 5 years was basically office bound On my very last day prior to retiring in 1999 I asked to do a last outside patrol. In the same town at the same time Night shift in the parade room there were ............4 officer two sergeants and one inspector. My son in law is a serving inspector in the same area and he tells me not a lot has changed . Glad I'm well out of it.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks for your 33 years of service kennatt.

I get the impression that Bojo would like people to hire private security services, instead of relying on a National Police Force......

A bit like the USA.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:29 pm A point here, cyclists should be forced to wear high-viz clothing, or at least a top. Also the use of lights should be enforced.
And any caught not doing so should be stopped by police and charged when caught.
The amount I've seen cycling around in dark clothing with no lights, especially after dark, makes me wonder how more of them aren't killed.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Best of luck with that proposal around the Lycra Brigade.
I once posted a photo on Twitter showing a Yellow jacketed Cyclist and a totally Black clad Cyclist, helmet to shoes, riding along a country road is strong summer sunlight, with lots of trees causing shadow sections. The Black clad was of course invisible in the shadows.
The amount of abuse I got from the Lycra Mafia for daring to suggest the Black clad should dress responsibly when out riding.
They are just idiots, thinking that looking like wheeled Ninjas is a good idea. :evil:
Basil the 1955 series II

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

jagnut66 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:29 pm A point here, cyclists should be forced to wear high-viz clothing, or at least a top. Also the use of lights should be enforced.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Agreed. You simply can’t see them.

To highlight the point, as I left work yesterday (in darkness) I saw a cyclist lying on the road, presumably having just been hit by a car. This was given that three cars had stopped and were seeing to his well-being. I looked at the bike. No lights.

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

MorrisJohn wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:53 am Also the use of lights should be enforced.
A few years ago now I was cycling on a very quiet area, took a few seconds to rest at the side of the road, dynamo driven lights instantly went out of course, and also - again, of course - it was at that praticular moment a car decided to appear while I was on the edge of the road in complete darkness (no street lighting round there) so I had to hurridly rotate the pedals again to try and generate some lights :roll:
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

As I haven't actually read a Highway Code publication for lots (and lots!) of years I thought I would buy the latest edition and see what all the fuss is about.
I was told (WH Smith's) that it won't be available until - April!!!

Alan
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

alanworland wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:49 pm As I haven't actually read a Highway Code publication for lots (and lots!) of years I thought I would buy the latest edition and see what all the fuss is about.
I was told (WH Smith's) that it won't be available until - April!!!

Alan
Have a look here, it's cheaper..... https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code

As you say, the printed copy isn't ready yet.
Basil the 1955 series II