Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alexwade
MMOC Member: No

MM with no keys...

Post by alexwade »

Hello again everyone!

I previously posted on this forum to ask your advice on a Morris Minor that belonged to my dad that I want to sell. Well, I'm back with a new problem - a complete lack of keys.

I saw another recent thread entitled 'hello & a key issue' by user Salad dodger, but my issue is that unlike there, I have NO keys. My dad owned the car before he died, and it's been in a rental garage for a couple of years. We have the keys to the garage, but there are lots of unlabelled keys in his house, and there's no Morris ones amongst them.

I'm still keen to get the car out of the rental garage and off my 'to do' list...

So my question is: if there are no keys, can the car be moved out of the garage? Are locks on Minors easy to take off and replace? Are people willing to buy a car without keys?

Thank you in advance for any and all tips / pieces of advice.
unclealec
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MM with no keys...

Post by unclealec »

Where you is Alex?
I have a couple of hundred assorted MRN/FA/FS keys in a tub in the mean streets of north Manchester (left over from my car stealing days).
In the unlikely event that you are nearby, we could try them. You never know.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Depending on the age of the car, the key number for the ignition might be stamped on the face of the lock in plain sight. That is the case on 2 of my cars. I think on later models the manufacturers realised it was not a sensible idea! Worth a look though. Is the car actually locked? It isn't difficult to get into most Minors with a handful of keys in my experience :oops:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Yes, you can easily move a Minor without a key - there is no steering lock. As long as you can get into the car, then simply place the gear lever in neutral, take the handbrake off (if it was on, for long term storage it is better to leave it off anyway) amd push - the cars are not heavy.

Complications might arise if handbrake was left on and the cylinders have seized, but gentle rocking might free the shoes sufficiently to turn the wheels. If the door is locked, then it is possible to get in, but I'm not going yo p[ost how on an open forum! Check that the tyres are inflated properly as that makes it easier to push. Depending on type, probably 25-28 psi all round will be a fair starting point. Once out of the garage, trail or tow as required - if towing on a rope, make sure that the brakes work before setting off!

As per the other post that you mentioned, there are several ways in which you can obtain the correct key number.
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

Alex, Where are you, and/or the car? If you are local, I have a few keys for minors?
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

Going back to the original question locks can be replaced easily. If you can get them out you can usually get the number off too and just buy a key. It's not a big job so even without a key the cr can be sold

One thing to note is most locks are now quite worn. You will often find other keys will fit. Pretty much any roughly shaped key will get into my saloon door for example.

As earlier poster stated if you put an approximate location someone probably has a selection of keys to try
alexwade

Post by alexwade »

Dear all,

I just wanted to write a quick reply with an apology for being very slow to reply but with an update - the car is sold!
The keys were eventually found and I was able to get the car sold via a friend who lives near the car.

Thank you all for your time and advice, and all the best!

Alex