Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MacD
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

How to refit outer headlight bezel?

Post by MacD »

I have fitted new headlights and bowl but I am unable to refit the outer chrome bezel. Is there some special way to refit them? Have I possibly screwed the bowl too tight to the rubber? Help!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: How to refit outer headlight bezel?

Post by ManyMinors »

You have probably purchased a reproduction headlamp bowl and the chrome bezel simply doesn't fit it as well as it fitted to the original Lucas item? This is a common problem with aftermarket/reproduction parts. Much time is often required adjusting and altering parts so that a good fit can be achieved I have found :-?

As I'm sure you're aware, the bezel should be fitted over the lugs at the top first and then fitted over the bowl all the way round before being secured by a self-tapping screw at the bottom. If the diameter of the bowl and the bezel are not the same, this will not work.

You might have to remove the bowl again and try to fit the bezel to it off the car in order to see where the problem lies prior to making slight alterations?
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

I concur with ManyMinors. My car has 1 metal bowl and 1 plastic, one bezel fits much better than the other one does... not that I can remember which one is the better fit.
I think it's the Plastic one....
:wink: :)
Basil the 1955 series II

MacD
Minor Fan

Post by MacD »

Hi
Thanks for that. I’d fit the old bowls but one has the flange that holds the spring missing. I’ll have a go at what you suggest.
Thanks.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I fitted 2 new metal bowls, which I had powder coated, and new chrome bezels they have always been a pig to fit.
I have resorted to a narrow scraper to ease the bezels over the chrome rim! Okay once on!

Alan
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

did you also fit new rubber seals behind the bowls?

This happened on mine when I fitted new chrome trims, the rubber seal was too big for the rim of the trim to grip the locating lug securely.

Careful trimming of the rubber seal with a scalpel allowed the chrome trim ring to fit easily and correctly.

On inspection it was clear that the chrome trim return lip was different to the original spec and needed to sit a little deeper on the bowl lip, hens eat need to trim the rubber seal.

G
MacD
Minor Fan

Post by MacD »

Thanks again for taking the time to respond much appreciated..I’ll have another go.
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

Similar problem for me, I replaced the whole shebang but now the chrome bezel wont fit, thanks all for the advice
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

One of mine has the rubber seal fitted but not the other because it would not allow the trim to fit in place :(