Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Gerard1234
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: No spark

Post by Gerard1234 »

The cable is connected and it turns over but I do not know the English word for it the tip is not touching the fly wheel dot no worries I’m happy that the engine runs with help from you all

quote=geoberni post_id=675657 time=1642074720 user_id=38183]
And the car runs

Small disappointment , now my starter motor is dead
I ordered a new one so tomorrow a new task
:o :o
Are you sure?
Have you checked to see if you've knocked a cable loose while you've been spending all this time working almost in exactly the same place looking at the Points....?
[/quote]
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

mogbob wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:43 am
PS I'll have to get up a bit earlier to beat geoberni's eagerness to help ! He's a good Guy , very knowledgeable.
Good piccies as well
:lol: :lol:
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :wink: I was an aircraft electrical technician in the RAF, I cut my teeth on low voltage systems, aircraft are basically 24v for many systems, particularly older ones.
I don't know a lot about the more technical aspects of the Minor's mechanicals, but the electrics are bread & butter stuff.
I've fixed some really weird faults on aircraft caused by 'issues' such as incorrect or faulty earth connections.
I could regale you with all manner of strange faults, including some on brand new aircraft, straight from the factory. :roll:

I'm supposed to be working from my home office, but getting distracted by some of these problems on here... :lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

Gerard1234
Minor Friendly

Post by Gerard1234 »

Don’t get too extracted from work
I always sold pewter and English China in the shop in Holland and now I am retired and can’t do the things that I love to do

quote=geoberni post_id=675659 time=1642075646 user_id=38183]
mogbob wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:43 am
PS I'll have to get up a bit earlier to beat geoberni's eagerness to help ! He's a good Guy , very knowledgeable.
Good piccies as well
:lol: :lol:
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :wink: I was an aircraft electrical technician in the RAF, I cut my teeth on low voltage systems, aircraft are basically 24v for many systems, particularly older ones.
I don't know a lot about the more technical aspects of the Minor's mechanicals, but the electrics are bread & butter stuff.
I've fixed some really weird faults on aircraft caused by 'issues' such as incorrect or faulty earth connections.
I could regale you with all manner of strange faults, including some on brand new aircraft, straight from the factory. :roll:

I'm supposed to be working from my home office, but getting distracted by some of these problems on here... :lol: :lol:
[/quote]
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

When you say that the starter is dead....

To save me looking back, what year is the car? Do you have a key to operate the starter, or a pull switch? If key operated, then when you turn the key, do you hear a click from the solenoid? Check the solenoid and make sure that the thin white wire with red tracer has not come off the tag terminal. If solenoid is operating OK, then (ignition OFF) fit a spanner on the square shaft that sticks out of the front of the starter motor, and turn it back and forth. Also (ignition still OFF) put the car in gear and rock it back and forth, just in case the bendix drive has jammed. Also check that the battery is not flat!

If you have a jump lead handy, you can bridge the two large cables on the solenoid and see if the starter turns now. If yes, then the problem is with the solenoid, if no, then by now we have proved that it is the starter. Good luck.
Gerard1234
Minor Friendly

Post by Gerard1234 »

Today I will take the battery out
I think it had it longest time and should be replaced
They will check it for me

The starter is out
It turns on the bench but the axle has a lot of clearance and the is a tear in the cover
The new one should be arrive today but dutch mail is as slow as .....

Does the axle always has so much clearance ( I cannot place a video of it on this side..)
So I made 2 picture with the axle pushed to the left and the other to the right
maybe you can see it on the photo
simmitc wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:16 pm When you say that the starter is dead....

To save me looking back, what year is the car? Do you have a key to operate the starter, or a pull switch? If key operated, then when you turn the key, do you hear a click from the solenoid? Check the solenoid and make sure that the thin white wire with red tracer has not come off the tag terminal. If solenoid is operating OK, then (ignition OFF) fit a spanner on the square shaft that sticks out of the front of the starter motor, and turn it back and forth. Also (ignition still OFF) put the car in gear and rock it back and forth, just in case the bendix drive has jammed. Also check that the battery is not flat!

If you have a jump lead handy, you can bridge the two large cables on the solenoid and see if the starter turns now. If yes, then the problem is with the solenoid, if no, then by now we have proved that it is the starter. Good luck.
Attachments
tempImagefvmkaf.gif
tempImagefvmkaf.gif (431.58 KiB) Viewed 559 times
tempImageWrLl3A.gif
tempImageWrLl3A.gif (423.22 KiB) Viewed 559 times
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Gerard
The starter is definitely damaged. The shaft should rotate freely but NOT move move sideways as depicted in
your photos. Unable to assess the full extent of the damage internally. Repair by replacement of parts , end
plate , bearing ( if that was the only damage ! ) would not be a quick fix. A trip to a car breakers yard might
have provided a replacement. Individual new parts are not easy to get hold of. If left alone , then further damage to the flywheel , might have ensured. I think you made the right decision to get the car back on the road.
Bob
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hello Gerard
That starter has definitely seen better times.
With that much side play I would imagine the Armature has been catching on the Stator frame.
Basically the rotating centre, that you called the Axle, spins around at typically 200-300 rpm.
With all that sideways movement where the Yellow Arrow is, the likelihood of internal damage around the insides, where I've put the Red Arrow is considerable on both the Armature and the Stators. That gap all around there is only 2-3 mm or so.

It's probably what we would have categorised as BER - Beyond Economic Repair. :wink:
Starter.jpg
Starter.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Gerard1234
Minor Friendly

Post by Gerard1234 »

The new one is on the way
This one will be burried in the garden :)
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Gerard1234 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm This one will be burried in the garden :)
In the hope of growing a power plant perhaps? :D
Gerard1234
Minor Friendly

Post by Gerard1234 »

Growing starters
Next to the dynamo bush

quote="Myrtles Man" post_id=675700 time=1642178126 user_id=46267]
Gerard1234 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm This one will be burried in the garden :)
In the hope of growing a power plant perhaps? :D
[/quote]