Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Magg
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Heater output !

Post by Magg »

Hello all, I dare say that the topic of heaters is often posted but I'm hoping for tips for more heat from mine, please, 1963 traveller 1098 with Mini type heater, Matrix has been flushed through and heater tap valve replaced.
Is there much advatage to installing a higher temp thermostat, remove the fan and/or add grill muff / sheet of ply wood?
I also noticed that the pump flow rate is poor, I think my personal 'flow rate' is greater! what should the flow rate be ? The water pump looks to be the aluminium bodied impeller type. Any suggestions welcome, thanks.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Heater output !

Post by philthehill »

Firstly is there a thermostat fitted?
Yes a higher temp thermostat can be of benefit.
The flow of the water pump is dependent upon the size of the impellor and the rotational speed of the impellor.
The aluminium water pump could have a pressed steel impellor which is prone to rusting away.
It could also have a large or small cast iron impellor. The large cast iron (or plastic) impellor gives the best flow rate but may require some metal removed from the pump opening or cylinder water jacket wall to enable fitment.
Removing the fan is ok if you are not in constant traffic. A piece of plywood will do to blank of the lower part of the radiator. Size of the blanking piece determined by trial and error. A radiator blind or radiator muff will do the job nicely.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search

Magg
Minor Friendly

Post by Magg »

Thanks Phil,
It does have a thermostat as we took temp measurements at the rad feed to check function, I will however check the heat rating on it.
Thanks for the pointers re pump, I'll investigate for type and condition. Pending the outcomes I might also fit a radiator blank.
Cheers, Mark.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I have fitted an electric water-pump , in the heater feed , electrically running in parallel with the heater fan ( variable speed ) , works a treat.

John ;-)
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

Now that is very clever, well done.
Regards Win
South Yorkshire
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Personally I have no problems with heater output, aside from the fact that my heater is an after-market Tudor model, it's a standard SII plumbing.
Basil the 1955 series II

liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

In my experience of a few later cars, the standard late-style 'fresh air' heater is actually pretty decent if it's all set up OK. It should be more than capable of keeping the car warm, assuming it's not blocked and the heater tap is flowing well too. I used to run mine with an 88 degree thermostat and it worked well. I've got an 88 degree 'stat in one of my current cars (slightly earlier 1962 948) and that runs at a good temperature winter and summer. I've never had a need to block off the rad with a correctly-functioning thermostat - I took the 948 car out last might when it was 4 degrees C here on Dartmoor, and the car (which has a temperature gauge fitted) was up at normal running temperature within 2 miles.

I would put a hotter thermostat in, and then check that all is flowing OK. If the heater gradually cools with the lever set to 'Car' and with the fan on, so you've got a high through-flow of air, then it would suggest the coolant flow is poorer through the matrix than it should be.

Are the heater pipes OK? they can swell inside when they get old, which restricts flow. They are simple enough to replace.