Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster
MMOC Member: Yes

Charles Ware Liquidator Statement

Post by Admin »

Charles Ware Morris Minor Centre Ltd Liquidators Statement, as provided to the MMOC on 09 December 2021

Mark Boughey and Mike Field of Mazars LLP have been appointed Joint Liquidators of Charles Ware Morris Minor Centre Limited (“the Company”) of 20 Clothier Road, Brislington, Bristol on 25 November 2021.

The Company has ceased to trade. However, other parts of the group continue to trade and operate from the same location.

We understand that a number of customers of the Company have vehicles on site. Please be assured these vehicles remain your property and are not considered assets in the Liquidation. You should have received an email from Shannon Devoy of the Company, to arrange collection or next steps with your vehicle. Therefore, please either reply to that email, or call the Company on 0117 3003753 to discuss your individual circumstances.

Should you need to contact Mazars LLP directly please email my colleague, Patrick.grieshaber@mazars.co.uk who will endeavour to assist.
M G Boughey – Joint Liquidator

Kind regards
Jonathan Baker
Assistant Manager | Corporate Restructuring | Advisory & Consulting
Mazars
90 Victoria Street
Bristol
BS1 6DP
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Charles Ware Liquidator Statement

Post by jagnut66 »

As you say, the Parts Dept. is still operating, I bought some glovebox inserts from them recently.
I believe Car Sales is still in operation too, it's just the restoration part of the business that's gone bust.
However, it would be concerning for anyone with their car in bits over there.
I do note though that the liquidators do state clearly that individuals cars remain their property, so I guess it's just a matter of the best way to retrieve your car, especially if it's dismantled.....
I presume they would allow people to partially reassemble their cars on site (if possible), if it makes retrieval easier?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
acrobinson
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by acrobinson »

Sad message to read after CW being around for so long but hopefully re-assuring for those with cars currently in their workshops.

Not sure how confident people will be buying spares off them knowing part of the business is being liquidated?

Same for the cars. How will they be able to warranty the cars and repair them with no restoration side to the business?

It saddens me that sooo much Minor experience has potentially been lost. Here's hoping that some of the staff can buy from the liquidators and rise phoenix like from the ash (framed!) to help us with our cars going forward.

Sad times. :(
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

very sad indeed, looking at companies house they had liabilities of £1m vs assets of next to nothing! Looking at the list of creditors, it's also going to do some damage to some small, but critical, morrie suppliers - Woodies is owed £7k, Newton Commercial £10, ESM over £30k, and their own parts department over £170k!

Interesting that they'd be ordering from ESM rather than use their own parts dept....
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

If they were ordering from ESM it’s no wonder they were always more expensive! I feel sorry for those suppliers. ESM in particular because their customer service is first class.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Some parts are ordered from elsewhere as it would be uneconomic to stock them. The restoration business has been re established and doing some really good work. My car came back after a long stay through the turmoil and the work was beautifully done. They have a long list of vehicles awaiting work and customers joining that list on a daily basis. Ken and Shannon Devoy as well as the rest of the staff, some of the old hands included, are working to bring it back to its former glory
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

firedrake1942 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:49 am Some parts are ordered from elsewhere as it would be uneconomic to stock them. The restoration business has been re established and doing some really good work. My car came back after a long stay through the turmoil and the work was beautifully done. They have a long list of vehicles awaiting work and customers joining that list on a daily basis. Ken and Shannon Devoy as well as the rest of the staff, some of the old hands included, are working to bring it back to its former glory
Really pleasing to hear this and that you’ve got your own car back nicely done. Hopefully they make a success of it 🤞
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

It's been on the club Facebook group for a few weeks (facebook.com/groups/morrisminors ) but I'm afraid I forgot to mention it here too. The parts supply element that survived the previous insolvency has now itself folded. I believe there is a further business under the same name which isn't linked to either previous failing but it's got a bit too confusing to follow now...
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
exlkrs
Minor Friendly

Post by exlkrs »

Admin wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:31 pm It's been on the club Facebook group for a few weeks (facebook.com/groups/morrisminors ) but I'm afraid I forgot to mention it here too. The parts supply element that survived the previous insolvency has now itself folded. I believe there is a further business under the same name which isn't linked to either previous failing but it's got a bit too confusing to follow now...
Being £170k light to nextdoors can't have helped!
Messin' with Morris (and Austin) for half a century!
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I hope the parts business carries on in some form in the near future. Charles Ware stocked quite a lot of parts that ESM do not and I am at a loss to identify alternative suppliers for certain bits. The Charles Ware parts website now displays "account suspended". I have asked ESM if they have any plans to stock parts that only CW sold........
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen