Barn find - advice needed

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DGK8
MMOC Member: No

Barn find - advice needed

Post by DGK8 »

Hi All, I'm looking for some advice please, as I'm trying to help my Dad clear his property and this includes a Morris 1000 that's been sat untouched for 40+ years in a barn. Any guidance would be great on how to value the car and anything I need to know/do so I can see if someone might be interested in buying and collecting.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
car.jpg
car.jpg (756.87 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
car2.jpg
car2.jpg (793.4 KiB) Viewed 3487 times
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Re: Barn find - advice needed

Post by Bowie69 »

A location would really help members assess whether they are prospective purchasers!

Honestly, in that state they aren't worth a huge amount, maybe £1K to the right buyer? Worth checking ebay for sold items to see what they went for.
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by busguy »

Reg number 15 BKK is not shown on DVLA as live on a vehicle. May be on a retention certificate, which is not shown on DVLA, or may be void.
15 BKK was originally a September 1957 registration in Kent which matches up with the vehicle, by the look of the photo. It might be better than it looks, but advertise it inviting offers, and see what response you get. Carefully save any tax discs, receipts, old log books, and correspondence you might find to prove the vehicle's identity, and if the vehicle is restorable, the asset of its reg number is worth keeping, if DVLA accept the proof.
Last edited by busguy on Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well that's quite a 'find' even if your Dad know it was there for the past 40+ years.
The market is strangely fluctuating at the moment, looking at ebay in recent months, some are fetching high prices and some quite low, whatever their condition.

The more history you have, the more serious purchasers will be interested, especially the registration documents, because without those DVLA can be very difficult when it comes to registrations.
That could well be the original registration as it isn't live on the DVLA system; getting it reactivated is far easier with an old log book.
The car looks to be from between 56-63 and that Reg plate is the right format for the period, even though it is a 1970s reflective plate.

The more pictures the better, especially places like the underside and engine bay.
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It's dirty, but beyond that, very difficult to assess the condition, It's obviously going to need some work before it can be used - tyres, brakes, clean fuel system, change oil, generally service engine; but once done, I'd be surprised if it didn't start. Suspension will need greasing and possibly bushes changing, dampers will need an oil change. The big question is the structure and how sound or otherwise it is; and we just can't see enough from the two photos.

If the structure is sound then the items listed above are simple and relatively inexpensive to do. If it needs a lot of welding, then more time and money.

Do you have the logbook for it? It's not known to the DVLA, and so will need to be registered. If you have the log book or other papers, then relatively straightforward. If no papers, then it will need a new number.

Depending on your location, it may be best to see if someone from your local branch of the MMOC could pop round and look at the car with you.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As above, more photo's showing the condition of the floors and chassis rails / crossmembers / sills / boot floor area.
Plus the above point about the log book, this needs to be up to date in terms of the cars current registration given the above comment.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

A plus point - its an early 1000 with an unmolested dashboard, very rare nowadays.................but, oh dear about the steering wheel :(
DGK8

Post by DGK8 »

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far - incredibly helpful.

I think it's very unlikely that I will uncover log books or other documentation, so may have to go down the route of new registration?

Following one suggestion to ask someone from a local branch to have a look, I have had a glance at the regional branches but am unsure how to contact. The car is in Kent (roughly Ashford area). Any ideas?

Thanks again

Hannah
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I will send you an email with contact details for the Kent area branches.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I think it's very unlikely that I will uncover log books or other documentation, so may have to go down the route of new registration?
Perhaps someone on here (or the person from the local branch you contact) would be able to help you with re-registering it, as in explaining what information the DVLA would require and what might help you to retain the original registration on the car, if it's possible.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Clayton James
Minor Friendly

Post by Clayton James »

Wow, this car is decaying. I think it will take some time for you to finish it.