Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cococola
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller side window channels

Post by cococola »

When I replaced all of the wood on my traveller a couple of years ago, I replaced the side window channels where the side windows slide.
I have noticed that the channels are rusting in a couple of places, through the material that covers them. I wonder if there are any better quality channels or other alternative ideas please?
I bought them from woollies trim suppliers of classic cars who are generally very good.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Re: Traveller side window channels

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi
Not sure if this helps as to where they originally came from but I replaced with channels from ESM which so far seem good
Meggie living in West Sussex. Slowly being restored.
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

That's good to know that your channels have been okay so far,I will have a look at ESM now to order. Many thanks 😊👍
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Biggles1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Biggles1957 »

I seem to remember getting mine from ESM and they were good - might even have been stainless? Don't forget to drill the drainage holes! My channels didn't have any in them...
Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Hi Biggles 1957
Aaargh I never drilled mine have you done yours in line with the drain holes in the waist rail or just randomly along the length of the runner?
culp
Minor Fan

Post by culp »

I drilled mine roughly every 6 inches.

Also beware when cutting the outer channel with the stainless steel trim. after cutting the trim can come off the channel and its an absolute swine to get back on again, if you crimp the end of the trim where you cut it and squeeze it onto the channel material it shouldn't come off.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Meggie moggy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:05 pm Hi Biggles 1957
Aaargh I never drilled mine have you done yours in line with the drain holes in the waist rail or just randomly along the length of the runner?
Mine are drilled in line with the drain holes in the waist rail. My channel was overflowing inside slightly so I went round all the holes (in both the metal and the wood) and made sure they were drilled through properly and not blocked in any way. Many a spider and earwig was made homeless that day. I then treated the inside of the holes in waist rail as best I could.

Meggie moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Meggie moggy »

Looks like another job to add to the list and thinking about it now it is quite obvious, I will try to line up the holes and get 4/5mm holes in the channel.
Luckily I had no issues with cutting the channel and it was quite satisfying replacing it as the O/S Windows could not be moved but 3 hours later all was replaced😊