Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Weather Strip Fitting - Rear Four Door.

Post by Chief »

Hi,
I don't remember this job being so difficult, tricky yes, but not impossible...

I'm trying to fit new weather strip to my rear door, I've removed the window stop so that the window can wind down as far as possible, though it still sticks up somewhat more than I'd have liked.

I've also been pre-squashing the clips with pliers (though not the one pictured) to make it slightly easier to push them into place.

The main problem is that the width between the glass and the holes for the clips once the strip is in place seems far too small to get the clips into, to the point where I'm wondering if these are the right clips? I know the style is correct, but I'm wondering about the size?

Chief
Minor Addict

Re: Weather Strip Fitting - Rear Four Door.

Post by Chief »

As the forums attachments considered an 80kb 408x142 pixel jpeg as invalid, here is a link to the photo mentioned:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v4BlzI ... WiiRm/view
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Well, I know the shape is right but they still seem rather too long. They actually jam into the glass of the window when trying to fit them.

It did however strike me later that these aren't the same doors anymore as when I last did this job, so maybe the holes were slightly higher on my original doors which would have made life easier, or the clips back then from Bull Motif were smaller, if I can find one of the old ones that isn't a small pile of iron oxide dust I guess I can compare.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I don't think you can fit the clips if the glass is still in the way. The front windows wind down enough to give clearance but not so the rears. Its so long since I've done this job so I can't remember exactly, but I think you can remove the winder arm from the door glass channel to allow the glass to drop further. Its a bit fiddly but not impossible.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I managed to get out again this evening, though sadly the light faded fast and I had to do everything up again by torchlight in the end.

Even with the mechanism in addition to the stop removed, the metal channel that the glass sits in appears (or rather feels by putting a hand in) to be resting on the arched portion of the rear door so doesn't have any further space to drop more.

I'm starting to feel like the only way is to either remove the glass entirely, or just leave it with only the 2 clips I managed to get pushed in.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I agree with the opening sentiments - this job is tricky but by no means impossible. I even managed it on my 4 x door and I'm a definite tinkerer and certainly no mechanic.

Sure, the rear doors are more of a problem because the window does not disappear below the door line, even with the 'stop' removed.

It's a couple of years since I did it, so I'm struggling to remember any useful tips......apart from loads of patience. I'm sure I had to walk away from trying to get the rear doors strips to fit, on more than one occasion but it is doable. I am just wondering if you have the correct clips for the job as the above links are differently shaped clips for different fittings and I've got a sneaking feeling I might have got a couple of 'rogue' clips in my batch and I had to re-use the originals.

Best of luck anyway and keep at it :D

Alan
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I used a pair of fine long-nosed pliers to hold them in position and a small spatula to persuade them home...

John ;-)
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I managed to get one more clip in, I even have the scratches on the glass from the little square feet to prove it ! :(

That was by prising the window as far over to the other side as possible and stabbing them in with a screwdriver after squashing them, not sure if that will work for the rest of the clips as they don't have as much gap between the glass and the felt to angle them in.

Either way, the wind decided to change direction (it's a little bit stormy outside what with the 46mph winds) and blow the rain towards me, so I grabbed the attached photos and went back inside.
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1150 times
MorrisMinion
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisMinion »

I also used needle nose pliers to hold the clips whilst pushing the strip into place with a flat plastic tool used for removing interior panels. It was surprisingly easy to do once I had decided to used these two tools. I was also fortunate to have a 2 door Minor so it was easier to fix in place because the window almost disappears into the door when wound down. I replaced the old furry fabric window seal on the outside of the car with the more modern "touch glass" versions which have a rubber blade which prevents rain water getting down into the door.

See ESM's website: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/body- ... ls-p828214

Happily, there was another benefit to using the touch glass seals - the windows used to rattle when driving, but now the touch glass seal puts just enough pressure on the window to prevent any rattles, which is a joy when out on the road. I know that a silent Morris Minor is impossible, but the loss of the window rattle made the faff of replacing the seals worthwhile.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I'm still rather puzzled that 'Chief' reports of continued problems with the rear door. I know I've done this job in the past but, irritatingly, I can't remember the exact details. I note that the Lindsay Porter restoration manual says "You can gain extra clearance by removing the door glass bottom stop and winding down a little further - an essential when fitting the strips to four-door rear doors."
It can't help trying to do this job in the dark, rain and storms! :-?