Lost Minor

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
W. A. Traveller
MMOC Member: Yes

Lost Minor

Post by W. A. Traveller »

Hi Folks,

Does any one know the whereabouts of PGN 236?

It is (or was) a Clarendon Grey two door saloon with red interior. It was bought new by my father in 1957 and traded in to Stewart and Arden in 1959 against a Frilford Grey Traveller which is now mine in Western Australia.

Thanks for any information.

Colin Salmon
Member 520
My Cars:
BMWs 730,735,740 (matching trailer),750 and X5 4.4
Jaguar E Type V12 manual
Daimler and matching trailer
Minor Traveller
Alvis Stalwart :o
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Lost Minor

Post by geoberni »

Hi Colin
Being out in Australia, you probably don't know that in the UK anyone can check basic Registration details.

www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

The number you're looking for is a 'Nil Return' so 99.9999 % chance of having been scrapped.

When the old County Council Registration Offices were centralised, if a vehicle registration was current, it wasn't transferred to the central database. The records were just stored away on Microfilm.
If a vehicle was transferred, or a more recent vehicle was registered with DVLA but has since disappeared, and has not been officially scrapped, then it shows up still but as Untaxed.
So for example, a 1977 Vauxhall Viva that I owned new and sold in the mid 80s hasn't been officially scrapped by anyone and shows up on the database as Untaxed since April 1992 :roll:
A car I personally took to the Breakers Yard in the late 90s was correctly scrapped and gives the same 'Nil Return' as the number you're looking for.
Basil the 1955 series II

Clayton James
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Clayton James »

Is it possible for you to get details from the shop where your dad sold it?
Good luck searching for it.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Clayton James wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:38 am Is it possible for you to get details from the shop where your dad sold it?
Good luck searching for it.
In 1959??
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I've just realised, on reading what I wrote, that I made a typo on my post last Sunday. Unfortunately, it's now too late to edit.

What it should say is

When the old County Council Registration Offices were centralised, if a vehicle registration was not current, it wasn't transferred to the central database. The records were just stored away on Microfilm.
Basil the 1955 series II