Morris advice requested

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alexwade
MMOC Member: No

Morris advice requested

Post by alexwade »

Hello everyone, it's Alex, a new member here. I'm a new owner of a Morris Minor that I inherited from my dad, who passed away in 2019. I've joined this forum in hope of getting some advice from all of you - the experts!

Here is my situation: the Morris Minor is currently sitting in a rented garage in Exeter, Devon. It's from 1963, and in relatively poor state: fairly rusty, but designated road-worthy just a few years ago. I live in Germany, and do not want the car. In another lifetime perhaps, but my wife and I just had a baby and we plan to live here, not in the UK. So, I'd like to sell the car. To complicate matters, the number plate is of value and I'd like to separate the car from the plate, and then sell the plate and sell the car!

I'm grateful for any advice regarding the car - is it worth anything? Is there interest in a car in such a condition? If not, it'll be scrapped sadly. Thanks in advance for your help!
alexwade

Re: Morris advice requested

Post by alexwade »

I tried attaching photos, but it didn't work. Here are a couple of photos (I'm afraid I don't have any more - like I said, I'm in Germany!) for reference:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vo6othkkoujy ... 9.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/phiskpmlcy7i6 ... 6.jpg?dl=0
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

If the car is remotely roadworthy or restorable, then it would be a great shame to sell the plate separately. I understand your reasons, but still feel that they are better kept together.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well obviously the underneath could be in a terrible state, but unlikely from the way you've described it. The exterior and the limited view of the interior looks pretty good.

It would be a great pity to separate the plate from the vehicle. There are some rules about the eligibility to assign (remove) a registration and they are not straightforward.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Would you not have to gain a new MOT before you can sell or transfer the number plate?
Even without the number plate the car will still have a value of several times the scrap value.
Somebody would be glad to give your car a home and pay the value with or without the plate. You'd just have to advertise it.
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

It will almost certainly be worth much more than scrap value. Can only see a limited amount from the photos, but I've seen what appeared to be far worse examples saved from the scrap, sold and restored.

As people have already said, it would be a great shame for the car to be separated from its original registration. Especially if it has documentation and history with it. It will effectively loose part of its identity. Originality and provenance are great selling points, potentially making the vehicle more attractive to buyers.

Is the plate really worth that much? What people expect them to be worth and what they actually sell for are two different things :wink:

According to the DVLA, in order to transfer the registration, the vehicle must:

-be registered with DVLA in the UK
-be able to move under its own power
-be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
-have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
-be taxed currently (or have a SORN in place - if it’s had a SORN for more than 5 years, it must be taxed)
-be available for inspection

Do hope the Morris can be saved and be back on the road :)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

ManyMinors wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:10 pm Would you not have to gain a new MOT before you can sell or transfer the number plate?
That's one of those quirks of the system.
It doesn't specifically say so, as MCYorks has posted, and as it's a Historic, there could be a loophole.
be of a type that needs an MOT
have been taxed or had a SORN in place
So if it's SORN, but not longer than 5 years, then it wouldn't need the Tax, therefore you wouldn't need an actual MOT.
It might be taxed and declared Historic, so again wouldn't need an MOT

But since the photos show in stood on the highway, I trust it's not SORN...
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

So, it's a 1963 Deluxe model, with the original plate. Can't say I recognise the exterior paint colour, not sure I've seen one close to that other than a Million.

It's a cross-over model between the old trafficators and modern indicators meaning it has flashing side and brake lights for indicators.

Judging by the appearance I'm going to bet it still has the correct original white parcel tray and crash pad, but more photos would help with that, maybe someone in the Club living down those parts could go and have a look at it for you?

What you can see inside the front wheel arch looks pretty solid, therefore I'm going to guess the rest is since you mentioned it as having been roadworthy a few years ago. Main question is what are the sills and box section going to be like and that of course requires someone in-situ to take a look.

I'd imagine that on ebay you'd get at least £2500, probably more since it has the original plate still.

That said, there are people with Minors in Germany, and they are family cars. You might want to make absolutely sure that in a year or two you won't suddenly regret selling it since it was inherited, and it falls under the historic vehicle bands in the EU and UK.
MCYorks wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:48 am Is the plate really worth that much?
Think I paid £1200-1400 for mine. A previous owner had sold the plate to pay for their repair bill in the early 90s, didn't come back on the market until I think round about 2014/15. Goodbye savings, hello original plate which is now firmly attached to the car :D
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

You mentioned that it was in a rented garage so I would guess you want to resolve this fairly quickly. As has already been pointed out transferring the number involves bureaucratic and technical hurdles and may take quite a while.

If you are abroad do you have local friends or family to arrange access for buyers? If it ran within the last few years it shouldn’t be too hard to get it running again, which will make it easier to sell.

If you aren’t in a position to arrange a sale yourself South Western Auctions in Poole will collect classic cars to put in their auctions. A friend of mine used this service when he was ill and was pleased with the results.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

There is a running theme here, and I whole heartidly agree:

- Please do not scrap the car. Sell it if it’s unwanted.
- Please leave the original number plate on the car. It’s part of the car’s history/identity and adds value to the car (especially when someone restores it).
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
alexwade

Post by alexwade »

Hello again everyone,

Sorry for the radio silence over the past couple of weeks, I had a very busy time and then had laptop problems which prevented me from being able to get back here until now!

I'd just like to say thanks for the interest and helpful comments & suggestions. I'm convinced now from multiple comments that it'd be better to sell the car with the plate attached - message received and understood! I'm still looking into the next steps, but my brother who's more local than me is prepared to help me with that. I'll keep you posted, but I just wanted to say again thank you for the assistance, I may have more questions later but for now, thank you MMOC!
alexwade

Post by alexwade »

Dear all,

I just wanted to write another update - the car is sold!
The keys were eventually found and I was able to get the car sold via a friend who lives near the car.

Thank you all for your time and advice, and all the best!

Alex