Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Indicator arm horn sounding

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Hello All
I wonder if someone could advise me please.
A few months ago the garage I use fitted a new indicator stalk for me.All has been good until yesterday when I noticed 2 things.Firstly the self cancelling part is not working so you have to cancel manually and secondly when turning left only ,when you return the stalk to the off position the horn sounds!!but only for a split second. My car is a 4 door 1967 F reg.Could someone suggest which wires to fiddle with as I think it must be a wiring problem.
Many thanks
Steve
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Indicator arm horn sounding

Post by ManyMinors »

If you paid a garage to do the job, take it back to them. It sounds as if they haven't fitted it very well. For the self cancelling to work, the new stalk has to be aligned correctly and for the horn to work properly - again parts have to be fitted the right way. Hard to explain without photos but it will require some dismantling.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

As 'ManyMinors' suggests, or alternately it could be a premature failure in the mechanism itself if it has been working OK for 'a few months' - the quality of modern parts is sometimes an issue.....
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Take it back to the garage that fitted it - you paid good money to have it fitted and working 100%.
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

I'd be hesitant to blame the garage as I had one of the very latest batches (2101) break on me. I think one of the springs came off first causing one of the metal clips to foul and be bent. The supplier sent a replacement free of charge but it is the same batch and may not last very long either.

In this case it could be that the self cancelling mechanism came apart and it is brushing one of the rivet like parts holding the horn contacts on.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hmmm........lends a bit more weight to the 'poor quality replacement part' theory. The garage should be able to tell you if it is literally broken.
MorrisMinion
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrisMinion »

Steve,
I'm no expert on this, but I have a similar problem with an indicator stalk that doesn't always stay set or doesn't cancel so I bought a new one thinking that after 55 years the old one had worn out. I could have wasted my money as a few days ago two very interesting videos appeared on you tube. The first one shows the dismantling of the steering column switch gear and the second one shows the fitting of the new parts. I should have checked the fitting of the existing parts before buying a replacement, but either way I'll probably follow this video and put the new part on to the steering column. You might find that a small amount of adjustment on the indicator bracket and the horn contact rings may salve your problem, but check out the you tube videos as they may give you better clues than I can.

See for part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QfP6RdfYiY
and for part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GbG8oS8MQY

I hope this helps.
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

Hope you managed to get it sorted?

My replacement indicator stalk from batch 2101 is now difficult to turn left (which happened to the previous). :roll: It is still smooth to turn right. I post this just to update on the "bad batch" theory. I suspect I'll have to take it off at the weekend to inspect.