Accelerator Pedal Location

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Accelerator Pedal Location

Post by Nourish »

DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG (48.14 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Here's a JLH picture of one of their Toe Board Strengthening Kits with an added angle iron stiffener added.
Has anyone else done this as I'm wondering how the accelerator pedal is mounted as the angle iron would cover the standard mountings.
Cheers
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Accelerator Pedal Location

Post by philthehill »

Why do you need a toe board strengthening strip?
What have you done that requires a strengthening strip?
I would suggest that you mark the strengthening strip and drill the appropriate holes for the accelerator pedal mounts.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The strengthener that I fitted didn’t have the piece that concerns you, maybe you have a later version.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

https://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/chass ... g-kit.html
Comparing my own Minor toe plate with that in the JLH link above the JLH strengthening plate has a cut out at the top right to accommodate the accelerator pedal mounts.
BMC realised that there was a problem with the original toe plate and added extra plating to get over any flexing.
I have never had any problem with the original BMC additional toe plate metal to warrant fitting additional plating to that fitted by BMC - that is why I asked the questions in my post above as to me it is overkill.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well I can’t speak for Nourish Phil but I fitted one because although double plated one layer had 3 short cracks running from the steering column hole. I drilled a small hole at the end of each crack and after welding and grinding flat, thought it prudent to add the strengthening plate, although not the other pieces shown in the link. Belt and braces, peace of mind !

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
Thank you for your view. So far I have never had any problems/cracks with the existing toe plate or additional BMC plating.
I could not fit the additional JLH plates anyway as I have coolant pipes running through the N/S chassis leg.
The only place I have seen distortion on my Minor is the front chassis legs under braking which has been overcome by fitting two chassis leg braces with the top mount of the brace utilising the two spare damper mount holes and the bottom mount attached to the chassis leg in the area of the engine mount towers. The distortion resistance is not helped by having a full fibre glass front.
Phil

Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nourish »

Will be fitting Ford ST170. As I said earlier I WILL be fitting a thicker toe board and a length of angle iron - so please don't argue amongst yourselves about the where's and why's - just wanted to know from those that have done this how they sorted the accellerator pedal.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

These threads often invite general comment/conversation, people are free to post. No one has any objection to you fitting this item, or anything else for that matter. I suggest you remove from the plate, the area of metal that stops you fitting the pedal to its original fixings, I doubt any strength will be lost.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Here's a question.....just from idle curiosity...
What on earth is the 'Toe Board'?

I'm currently working on the assumption that since the Minor was clearly in production for decades without changes in that area, any strengthening is purely for those that wish to 'stress' their Minors beyond average driving use.
Nourish wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:04 pm Here's a JLH picture of one of their Toe Board Strengthening Kits with an added angle iron stiffener added.
Really? All I see is a white Minor floor with the gearbox cover removed.... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It’s a flat piece of metal about 3mm thick that fits over the main area you see in the picture, below the heater. Agreed probably only needed if used above normal motoring. I fitted mine for reasons mentioned.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:19 am It’s a flat piece of metal about 3mm thick that fits over the main area you see in the picture, below the heater. Agreed probably only needed if used above normal motoring. I fitted mine for reasons mentioned.
Thanks Les
I'll have to look under my carpet sometime...... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II