Please post any problems you are having with the website here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olonas
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Registering and communication.

Post by olonas »

I was a member who used to frequent this forum years ago and those log in details are long gone.
However, I did manage to find some details from a couple of years ago (May 2019) when i was able to re-register. Hence I'm in a position to post this! :roll:
I suspect the administrators are volunteers and realise they have other things to do.
The reason for this post is to ask when a new registration is expected to go through/be approved? I submitted a new registration request a couple of weeks ago and a few days after sent an e-mail to the administrator(s) enquiring about that registration progress. That was because I couldn't remember/find any previous log in information.
No response to either. Why would that be?
This is not intended as a criticism but a genuine query about registering. i wonder how many others have tried and their registration has not happened?
My username is that used maybe 20 years ago for which the then log in stopped functioning. I then rejoined as 57traveller which no longer functions.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Registering and communication.

Post by simmitc »

Hi, welcome back, and sorry to hear of your problems, Could you please send me a PM with full details, including why you want to register again as you've already got an active account?

Thanks.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I also returned to the forum after a long gap and had a lot of trouble getting back on. I had forgotten my password but when I tried a password reset no reset came through. I checked my junk folder and there was no e-mail there either. I tried a password reset about 5 times over a week and it never worked. Then I used the message moderator link but I never received a reply. I also tried to register a new account but the system would not let me do that as the e-mail address was already registered. Eventually by sheer luck I remembered the original password and I was straight back in.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I'm sending you a test email and a PM.
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

simmitc wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:22 pm Hi, welcome back, and sorry to hear of your problems, Could you please send me a PM with full details, including why you want to register again as you've already got an active account?

Thanks.
Thanks for the reply and I realise this isn't a message board issue as such.
Yes, I have an active account, the one I'm using here for which, as posted originally, I couldn't find the details of. Unless there is a previous, old account?
I could be wrong, but, if I remember, I tried to log in after a spell of not using, and the messageboard had been changed/updated etc. and my log in details were no longer valid!
Because of that I submitted a new registration which resulted in it has to be approved by the administrators, or words to that effect. As I wrote, and after hearing nothing, I sent an e-mail to the admin. (using the contact at the bottom) enquiring about the progress of the registration. Nil response.
I wanted to register to ask a couple of questions but have found the information elsewhere.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

There was a problem with the email part of the board, but we were not aware of that until I saw this topic; but the issue was fixed once we laernt about it and contacted our supplier.

Mike now approves all registrations in an effort to prevent spammers. It's quite possible that Mike did not receive your email, but you can address him directly by using the contact details in Minor Matters or "admin" at the mmoc domain.

Hopefully all now OK, sorry for any inconvenience,
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

There is an ongoing issue in relation to the automatic emails from the board being rejected by email hosts as spam, because our mailserver has some incorrect records which 'fail' automatic tests run to try to detect spam. As Simon says, some of those are resolved and hopefully that permits those mails to get through okay, other issues of this type are currently with the IT company the club uses. Unfortunately some mail servers filter that mail directly, so it never appears in your 'junk mail' folder.
New registrations are always authorised within five days or so, usually within a couple of days (depends on whether I'm away or not!). That authorisation generates an automated email to the address the account is registered at, but these automated mails are exactly the type that often get misclassified as spam, because they've not been sent by a human being. Lastly, the board is set up to only permit a single account from a single email address, so if you've used your address for an account and want to change it, you'd have to delete your old account first.
All that said, board emails - outbound and inbound - are a known source of difficulties and are currently on a program of repair with the third party company who host the board. In the interim I'm sorry you've had difficulty getting in touch and pleased that you've managed to find your login details anyway.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

olonas wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:55 am I was a member who used to frequent this forum years ago and those log in details are long gone.
Okay, so let's call that 'Account 1'.
olonas wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:55 am However, I did manage to find some details from a couple of years ago (May 2019) when i was able to re-register. Hence I'm in a position to post this! :roll:
So in 2019 you created a second account, and you do have login details for that. Okay, so why do you then need a *third* account?
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

"So in 2019 you created a second account, and you do have login details for that. Okay, so why do you then need a *third* account?"

Right, we'll try again.
As I have written, my old, from many years ago, accounts (olonas, 57traveller) no longer worked for whatever reason. New message board platform, provider etc.? Therefore I found it necessary to register a new account in May 2019 for which I subsequently lost/forgot log in details. I then tried to register a further new account, because it was not possible to log in (see above), for which I received no admin. approval. Then I found the May 2019 log in, i.e. this account, after trying to register again.
It's all not relevant now because I now have these log in details.
I now no longer "need a third account" for the reasons above. And to be pedantic it would be a fourth account!
My original question looks to have be answered and there are possible issues with communication for whatever reason.
Different e-mail addresses used too so that should not be an issue. Nothing in "spam" either.
"you'd have to delete your old account first. " How, pray, does one achieve that?
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

olonas wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am "So in 2019 you created a second account, and you do have login details for that. Okay, so why do you then need a *third* account?"

Right, we'll try again.
As I have written, my old, from many years ago, accounts (olonas, 57traveller) no longer worked for whatever reason.
Both those accounts work perfectly. If you can't remember the login details for them, that's one thing, but that doesn't mean they 'no longer work'.
olonas wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am Therefore I found it necessary to register a new account in May 2019 for which I subsequently lost/forgot log in details.
So you lost the login details for two accounts, registered for another one, and lost the login details for that one too. Okay, I'm with you so far.
olonas wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am I then tried to register a further new account, because it was not possible to log in (see above), for which I received no admin. approval.
Yep, we covered that - there was a misconfiguration on the board, hopefully corrected now.
Okay, I think we've bottomed it out now. Glad you managed to find the info you needed, and hopefully now you have an account that works for you. If you should lose your login again, completing the 'lost password' form should send you a replacement password properly now so there will be no need to create another account, whatever number that would be!
All the best
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
olonas
Minor Fan

Post by olonas »

"Both those accounts work perfectly. If you can't remember the login details for them, that's one thing, but that doesn't mean they 'no longer work'. "

No longer work(ed) using the then correct log in details. So, no, they no longer worked!
"you'd have to delete your old account first. " How, pray, does one achieve that?"
Would you answer that please Mike?
Please don't say only "admin" can do that, if contacted. See the problem there? :wink:
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Okay, bored now. Your accounts always worked, you forgetting passwords doesn't make it not so, and the fact that you're using one of those accounts now clearly demonstrate that. Have a nice day :D
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster