Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Flywheel
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Introducing Elsie May

Post by Flywheel »

Hi Mike,

Congrats from me too. What a smashing way to spend a bit of money. Well, that's what I told my wife and blimey she agreed.😃

Jonnie.
Attachments
image_02.png
image_02.png (643.33 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Very nice Mike! Health to drive!!

On my s11 traveller I fitted stop tail bulb holders like are used on the back and fitted original type small side light lens. This gives you a sidelight and a white flashing indicator on the front.
Attachments
2016-10-13 15.41.17.jpg
2016-10-13 15.41.17.jpg (729.25 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

Too many Minors so little time.....
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

On my s11 traveller I fitted stop tail bulb holders like are used on the back and fitted original type small side light lens. This gives you a sidelight and a white flashing indicator on the front.
Thanks David, something else to consider.
Congrats from me too. What a smashing way to spend a bit of money.
She is nice but I wish my wood was as good as yours.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

Hi Mike, I'm sure you'll sort out any problems in time. Wood or otherwise.

As for my traveller, to be honest I did cheat a bit. I'd previously owned a small sidevalve 103e sit up and beg. I had this car for 27 years, and after spending god knows how much time and money on it I decided to let it go.

I'd always liked morris motors, and in the end clutching my pension money in my hand and with the wife's blessing, I bought one that was all done.
We both liked the car as soon as we looked at it.
Personally I think your very wise to choose a nice looking car like that.
Good on you mate, And keep us posted on any work done.
Jonnie.👍
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As an update, whilst my spare head is away having hardened inserts installed, being skimmed and lightly ported, I have accumilated a few parts, namely an alternator conversion (as I intend to use her), a spin on oil filter conversion, the aforementioned P700 tripod headlamps, a pair of L489 sidelights (which will be used as front indicators but look period correct) and some BK1 black spray cans off ESM to respray the white grill with, so we'll soon see if the black she currently wears, which is a reasonably recent respray I was informed, is a match for the original BMC colour......
I have also just got a spare set of wheels, that I'd got dipped, stripped and zinc plated for free :D :D at my old workplace (before doing the usual of putting them to one side), powder coated in black gloss, so that's the wheels sorted and they did them for £25 per wheel :D, which I thought was good.
Just need to get hold of some new tyres now to go on them, I've just had another look at the ones I drove home on......
They're okay........................ but need to be changed sooner rather than later...................
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

So, as promised: Back to Black:
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 1.JPG
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 1.JPG (1000.95 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 2.JPG
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 2.JPG (761.83 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 3.JPG
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 3.JPG (991.2 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 4.JPG
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 4.JPG (818.13 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 5.JPG
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 5.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1075 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 6.JPG
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 6.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1074 times
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 7.JPG
Elsie May 1955 Splitscreen Traveller 'Back to Black' cosmetic refurb 7.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1074 times
As well as returning the exterior front lights, grill and all the wheels to nearer original spec., the wood has been repaired and treated to some Danish Oil. I also tidied up the interior, fitting one of my refurbished steering wheels, new gloveboxes and load area carpet. All the leather has been cleaned, stained 'Oxblood' (rather appropriate given the Morris badge) and fed.
She also now has working trafficators and the addition of a reversing light and high level brake light.
Unfortunately the trial run wasn't a success, as the engine looses compression (power) when warmed up, despite the early good signs and high oil pressure after the new head was fitted. She also sounded dreadful on the test run, so time to pull the engine out I think....
As an aside, whilst she was in dock I took the opportunity to grease all her nipples and changed the gearbox and diff oils (replacing the knackered diff breather whilst I was at it).
I also checked the front bearings and adjusted the stiff and, in my opinion, too tightly set brakes.
I had noticed a slight pull to one side before, on the way home after buying her.
After freeing the brakes up they revealed their true colours on my test run, so loads of new parts ordered, including, while I'm pulling them apart anyway a new master cylinder and a disc conversion up front.
Once all the new parts and pipework is in place, I will be converting to silicon (DOT 5) brake fluid.
So she probably won't be ready in time for that picnic replacing the National this year anyway, even if I had booked a ticket. Mind you I think we are about to have our freedoms curtailed for another month when they make the announcement, so that too may be cancelled. We'll see.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Mick Lynch »

Nice job, big changes from the first interior pics.
What’s the two things either side of the Speedo?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks.
There were already two holes either side of it, one was a chromed push button for the air horns (now removed), the other was a black plastic switch for the electric washer motor.
I moved to the drivers side and repurposed the chrome push switch to operate the washer motor and threw away the plastic switch.
This left a jagged hole on the passenger side where it had been, so I enlarged this a bit and fitted a black 'Marine' charge point, for my mobile.
Just visible under the dash are my oil pressure and water temp gauges and to the right of the steering wheel are two bakelite switches, one for the trafficators and the other for the indicators.
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Well, things go full circle don't they.
I am now progressing towards getting my 1954 four door painted, so I have just put Elsie May on the Car & Classic site for £10500. We'll see if I get any 'nibbles'......
Hopefully being she's not perfect will mean she'll end up with another enthusiast.
Best wishes,
Mike.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

Good luck with the sale. I pored all over your car at the weekend and it looks really good. Great condition but not overdone, still retains some nice patina and very useable.

I think I saw you at one point too Mike and very dapper you looked as well !
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks Philip. I am pondering putting an advert in Minor Matters as well.
Best wishes,
Mike.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Wouldn't you be better off keeping the Traveller due to its loadability.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Wouldn't you be better off keeping the Traveller due to its loadability.
It may not even sell, who knows.
I believe it's fairly priced but I'm also in no hurry. She is a nice car.
Best wishes,
Mike.
philipkearney
Minor Fan

Post by philipkearney »

To my mind, split screen travellers are more desirable than later models and even bearing that in mind, I'd say your car is very fairly priced. Travellers in the £12-14k range are much more common now.
An advert in Minor Matters may get it out to a wider audience but as the new issue will be due next week, it would be the September/October issue at the earliest.