Back on the road

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
minijojo
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Back on the road

Post by minijojo »

Miss Sophie is back on the road,
Miss Sophie
Miss Sophie
back on the road - 1.jpeg (72.15 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
over 1 year after the last time I drove in my Moggi, I got TÜV (MOT) today.
TÜV plaque
TÜV plaque
TÜV - 1.jpeg (60 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
the upper plaque indicates next TÜV (MOT) in December 2022

In Germany we have to get new TÜV (MOT) every 2 years also for historical vehicles
The last tour in November 2019 was back home from a welder who wanted to have a look at the work that should be done. He didn´t want the job because he had too many other jobs. I was glad i got it home. The engine blow out so much blue smoke, that i could hardly see whats behind me.

So looking for another welder. „Only“ the back front springhanger plates should be replaced was the plan.
Found a friend who helped me and a workshop of some other friends where we could do the job. First we did the job together, naerly my whole vacation was spent on it. Then Corona started and the work stopped.
It was good that i got a lot of floor und sill panels too, because they also had to be replaced. Including the crossmember on both sides. We found aluminum panels glued on the floor as part of the inner and outer undersill. Thin patches glued to the crossmember to hide holes. Everything was pasted with underbody protection. I did not believe that someone did such a „work“
crossmember
crossmember
crossmember - 1.jpeg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
some picture of the "quality work"
so finaly the welding job was done

A used 1098 engine has been rebuilded by me. Valve guides and the camshaft bearings has been fitted by a machine shop, as well as the new bore for the 1098 block (+010“)

a reprofiled camshaft and a reconditioned crankshaft was installed. Both ordered in UK in exchange.
The craftsman from the machine shop told me, that he can not do this job at the price I am paying for the replacement parts.
engine fist setup
engine fist setup
Engine_1 - 1.jpeg (56.95 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
the engine setup was a HS4 carb from a 998ccm mini with a K&N cone airfilter. When the engine runs with choke, all is ok. When the engine runs in idle there is an oil leak and oil running down the back of the slump. One drop every 10 seconds. No oil leak when the engine is not running.
I discussed this issue with my friends.
After a long discussion I changed to a standard 1098 HS2 airfilter (thanks to Bryan for supplying me with some parts), modified the base plate to fit to the HS4 carb and connected the crankcase ventilation directly to the carb.
Oil leak gone.
engine final setup
engine final setup
Er läuft - 3.jpeg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Over one year later i started the trip to test center and got the new TÜV without any strong failtures

Glad to have Miss Sophie back on the road
Many thanks for all the tips and support from the discussions in this forum, to my friend Rolf from Switzerland, Bryan for spare parts supply and many others who encouraged me to finish the project
regards
Joachim
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Back on the road

Post by ManyMinors »

Great news 8) :D
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Back on the road