Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Email notifications for replies to posts

Post by geoberni »

Hi Elinor
Mike has given you a comprehensive breakdown of the points from the MOT.
There is only one area I would question, just as Mike has done, and that is the Shocks:
11 - Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect Nearside Rear
12 - Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect Offside Front
13 - Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect Nearside Front
A 'light misting of oil or has limited damping effect' is not a fail. I had that comment in Advisories on my modern Ford at the last MOT.

A shock fails the MOT at check 5.3.2 (b) if .... ... damaged to the extent that it does not function or showing signs of severe leakage

It seems that some MOT Checkers put this as an advisory if there is the slightest hint of oil; perhaps just so they can try and get more work, or because they don't know what they're doing.
As I mentioned above, my modern Ford had this advisory and they immediately quoted me for replacing them, only £150. I told them definitely not.
A great many modern cars always have a slight trace of oil, due to the way their shock absorbers work normally.
A brief video here (American) from a professional Auto engineer representing a Shocker manufacturer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_mjLrsVcC0

As Mike said, give them a wipe and look for an actual leak.
Basil the 1955 series II