SPEEDOMETER LED's

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jeepster
MMOC Member: Yes

SPEEDOMETER LED's

Post by Jeepster »

Has anyone used, or know where to get LED's to illuminate the speedo and the inbuilt indicators (Ign, Oil, Main beam). Don't even know if it is possible to do this. This is for a 1970 Traveller. TIA
stuupnorth
Minor Fan

Re: SPEEDOMETER LED's

Post by stuupnorth »

oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

They consume 2W apiece. Hardly going to make a lot of difference, as the warning lamps are off most of the time and main beam is not used much of driving time (unless you are nocturnal!).

The alternator, if fitted, requires sufficient current to initially energise the system (the rotor is not a permanent magnet, per se).
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Leave the 'Ignition Warning Light' as a conventional bulb if you have an alternator fitted, otherwise LED bulbs work very well and the backlight ones give a nice clear light.
Richard

blue_cortina
Minor Friendly

Post by blue_cortina »

Fitted LED back lights at the weekend from http://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/ - see attached photo - pleased with the results
Attachments
Dial LEDs
Dial LEDs
IMG_20200705_220537.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
Helping my son with his Morris Minor 1970 Panda Car Replica (both club members)
tomb1963
Minor Friendly

Post by tomb1963 »

In order to improve the illumination of the speedometer on my 69 Traveler, particularly at the top around the '50' where the odometer mechanism blocks the light from the two 'backlight' bulbs, I've today fitted a LED strip and a control unit of my own design in the speedometer with an associated potentiometer to provide variable illumination. This potentiometer complete with knob is fitted to a 3 D printed 'P' bracket: this bracket is sandwiched under the bracket for the heater water valve control knob bracket so that the knob is unobtrusively positioned between the valve control knob and the steering column. It seems to work well.

I think my next design will also incorporate a 10V regulator for the fuel tank sender unit and perhaps a low fuel warning light to the left of the 'E' on the fuel gauge, perhaps calibrated to illuminate when there is only 1/2 gallon left in the tank.
tomb1963
Minor Friendly

Post by tomb1963 »

I did complete my project about a year ago now and have been pleased with my results going from this:

Original illumination.jpg
Original illumination.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 486 times
to this:

Even illumination.jpg
Even illumination.jpg (125.9 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Using a strip of LEDs:

Haol of LEDs.jpg
Haol of LEDs.jpg (100.67 KiB) Viewed 486 times
I also added a 10V regulator and circuitry for a low fuel level LED: this LED is fitted to a 3D printed bracket next to a speedometer illumination brightness adjust knob behind the heater control cable knob:

latest bracket.jpg
latest bracket.jpg (633.19 KiB) Viewed 486 times

The low fuel warning LED is illuminated when there is less than about a gallon left in the tank: this proved accurate on our trip from Lincolnshire to the Isle of Wight last July and has been reliable ever since. Previously I was concerned on how quickly the fuel gauge changed from 1/4 to empty! Now I have the re-assurance of a reliable low fuel indicator that just happens to come on when the gauge needle is about 1/2 way between 1/4 and empty.