Specifically for conversations about the annual Minors On Tour trip abroad
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mike1864
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Brittany Ferries coronavirus cancellation + MOT 2020

Post by mike1864 »

Club members may have noticed that Brittany Ferries have cancelled all sailings to France for a month. And it's likely to extend into May, and therefore MOT2020. Addressing imminent bookings, BF's website only talks about offering new dates or a refund voucher. But their actual T&Cs give the passenger the right to a full monetary refund. The relevant EU Regulation (1177/2010) makes it clear that the voucher option is entirely the passenger's choice.

With the voucher on offer only having a 12 month validity, and not transferable, I'm certainly not cancelling my May booking, instead waiting for BF to cancel and give me my £350 back. Neither will I fall back onto my travel insurance. I'm sure the insurers would deny liability anyway, given that the supplier is apparently obliged to make the refund.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Re: Brittany Ferries coronavirus cancellation + MOT 2020

Post by woodiesenfrance »

See the Club statement on all events including MOT.
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

Hello All

It was to be our first MoT but not to be. We are pleased that the plan is to hold 2020 in 2021 and have asked that our registration/booking is rolled over. Like others we are waiting for Brittany Ferries to tell us we can't go and will ask for a cash refund.

Here's to a better year next year

Regards

Ian
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Seconded, hopefully there will be a cure by then.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Ian Jones wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:35 pm Hello All

It was to be our first MoT but not to be. We are pleased that the plan is to hold 2020 in 2021 and have asked that our registration/booking is rolled over. Like others we are waiting for Brittany Ferries to tell us we can't go and will ask for a cash refund.

Regards

Ian
Hi Ian

As someone who was on the very first MOT and in effect founded the week long tradition in 1985 and ran MOT until 1991, my hubby Chris were also looking forward to this year's trip.
Please do come next year, whatever ferry you use. MOTs are good fun.
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

We shall, all being well.

Regards and stay safe

Ian
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

From a purely personal viewpoint, I would not entertain a 'voucher' of any type in exchange for my ferry booking irrespective of my firm commitment to come on MOT21. I'm with DFDS rather than Brittany but the same principle applies - if the ferry company do not intend to run my crossing, they owe me a full refund to my debit card and that's the only resolution I'll accept, thanks.

Note though, this is not intended to represent advice from the club, only from me :lol:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Having had ferries cancelled by DFDS due to storms on the Dieppe crossing I can only say they were super-helpful on the phone about either switching to Calais, or rebooking at a later date, or an immediate refund on our debit card.

On the DFDS website late May crossings are still on sale and not cancelled by DFDS, although under current restrictions entry into France is severely limited to special cases.
See here their FAQs re cancellations by customers
https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-fe ... rona-virus

Happy at home Easter everyone!
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

woodiesenfrance wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:47 pm Having had ferries cancelled by DFDS due to storms on the Dieppe crossing I can only say they were super-helpful on the phone about either switching to Calais, or rebooking at a later date, or an immediate refund on our debit card.

On the DFDS website late May crossings are still on sale and not cancelled by DFDS, although under current restrictions entry into France is severely limited to special cases.
See here their FAQs re cancellations by customers
https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-fe ... rona-virus

Happy at home Easter everyone!
Marys information about late May crossings was correct when published, but DFDS has now amended their advice to include dates up to and including 30th June, which obviously includes MOT bookings. You are now able to fill in their form for a 'credit note', but personally I'm going to ask for a full refund instead, at least at first. I have no idea now if or when I'll be travelling to France again, and I'm much more fond of the idea that I'll have my money back in my bank and then use it or not to buy another crossing when required, rather than comply with byzantine terms and conditions to use a 'voucher'. I didn't pay using a voucher, so I'll not be having a voucher back, thanks!

(as always, that's my own personal view rather than that of the club. You pays yer money :lol: :lol: )
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

I'm fully with the webmaster on this. I need the £400 much more than I need a voucher that might never be redeemable for one reason or another.

Ditto for the same amount that Eurocamp are sitting on. I'm happy to make a provisional booking with both outfits, but not, in effect, leaving a 100% deposit.

This attitude stems from already having lost my deposit on the preceding week's gite; the owner regarded the cancellation as being mine rather than the virus's. As she was, by then, holding the whole fee, I was not in position to push for a full refund. (Travel insurance was of no help, as the excess is greater than the deposit).
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Further to my original post, Brittany Ferries have advised me that they are currently working on the basis that my mid-May sailing is going ahead, ie they have NOT cancelled it, even though they ceased passenger traffic weeks ago. They will let me know "at the earliest opportunity" if this changes. As if three weeks away isn't already very late!
Meantime they tell me I am free to cancel it myself; adding that my ticket then entitles me to no refund at all.
They are also offering an amendment to a placeholder date in October, but want to charge me £20 for the privilege, plus presumably the same again when the May 2021 timetables are published. But the offer does not apply past early May 2021; so is useless for MOT2021. And my whole payment stays with them throughout, ie for 16 months in total.
I am understandably not impressed with Brittany Ferries. Like Mike Dean, I will be pressing for a complete refund. And I doubt I'll ever book with this company again, even if their customer attitude leaves them still trading next year.

Mike S
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

From Brittany Ferries Booking Conditions:

"(iii) Re-routing and reimbursement in the event of cancelled or delayed departures
Where a sailing is delayed for more than 90 minutes or cancelled we will provide you the choice of either a specific re-routing option to your final destination as set out in your transport contract, at the earliest opportunity and at no additional charge; or re-imbursement of the price that was paid for transport contract within 7 days."

But instead of mentioning this clause in their correspondence to customers, they suggest that the passenger cancels the sailing themselves, and so forfeits the entire prepaid fare.

beware!
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

That's pretty much word for word what's written in the DFDS terms and conditions - I think they've both quoted from the EU directive on it. DFDS are maintaining that a time and condition limited voucher is as far as they are going, and just ignore the paragraph where my email points to that condition. I get it, they're suffering too and just can't afford to refund everyone's money or they'll run out of cash, but that doesn't mean that I'm just going to give them three hundred quid to keep them afloat (see what I did there? :D ). I'm going to offer to meet them half way, and offer to accept a voucher that is NOT time limited
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

That's generous of you, Mike. But anyone doing so must assume that they will make a further cross channel trip in their (unisolated) lifetime; have you seen the age profile of MMOC membership?
And it also assumes that the ferry company won't be pushing up the daisies (seaweed?) in a year or two.
I'd accept a voucher only with some sort of guarantee, open-ended and with transferability; perhaps government backed?
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

You two Mikes are going round in circles, it seems to me!
In simple terms if your ferry is running to schedule but you choose not to sail the usual terms and conditions which you signed up for apply, yes?
None of us know yet when you 'furriners' will be allowed to set wheel and foot down in France for leisure purposes, all we know is that until May 11th 2020 at the earliest you cannot do so.
Stay safe and at home for now, folks!
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Not going round in circles; more like banging our heads against a brick wall.

Brittany Ferries' website says they "aren't currently able to offer any offer any passenger services" and "all passenger services between the UK and Ireland to France and Spain have been cancelled until 15 May 2020"; the date of my sailing.

But they won't accept they have cancelled, and even when they have been (on sailings to date), they have been offering only time-limited vouchers and (paid) amendments. Strangely no mention of the refund due under their Conditions, and EU Reg 1177/2010.

Whilst I sympathise with their situation, no other supplier of goods or services to my household is expecting me to lend them nearly £400 on the promise of a possible delivery in a year or two's time.

Brittany Ferries' Customer Services aims to respond to me on the issue within 28 days; one week after my booked sailing.
Jaywhy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Jaywhy »

Does any body know what the situation is with PO Ferries?

I have a booking with them and waiting to here as they are only dealing with customers 2weeks before departure
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Just as an update to this conversation that may be of use in negotiations with Brittany Ferries and/or DFDS, I have had a further reply from them today in respect of my refusal to accept a time-limited voucher. I told them I really wanted my money back and I was sure that a small claim court would agree since the ferry I was due to sail on was now not operating, but that to avoid unnecessary aggravation I would be prepared to accept a voucher that would not expire and had no other conditions. Their reply today says "We are happy to be as flexible as possible with future travel dates and will extend the Travel Credit if it is unable to be used. These credits can also be transferred to friends and family." which is near enough for me and so I'm going to accept that.
Hope that helps
Last edited by Admin on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I've tidied up this thread for future readers and taken out the 'I sent you a PM' 'yeah, got that' posts to make the topic easier to follow
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

With Admin's agreement I'm posting to say that if anyone needs assistance with the cancellation or re-arranging of a holiday booking in France (holiday cottage or B&B or other) I'm happy to help.
I can't promise a magic solution, but I am involved professionally with the tourist industry here and have access to the latest rules and advice.
You can PM me through the forum. Send me some basic information about your holiday and most importantly the dates. If you would prefer me to then reply by email please include your email address.
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

The latest from Brittany Ferries is that they have apparently reinstated Portsmouth to St Malo sailings as from 15th May, and they therefore deem that such bookings are "currently unaffected by disruption" (sic) and the usual customer cancellation terms would apply.

They presumably regard the French authorities denying entry as not in any way disruptive.

However Brittany Ferries are now offering a voucher with a TWO year expiry. Better than before, but not as flexible (or secure?) as a proper refund.

Meantime thanks to Mary for her offer of guidance to members.