In these uncertain times...

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

In these uncertain times...

Post by Sleeper »

In these uncertain times , when society seems to be going to the dogs , there is nothing I can do about the death-trap smart motorways , but , there is something one can do to protect ones self when passing through dubious areas , that is , locking the drivers door.
Now you may say , " Morris Minors cannot lock the drivers door" and you'd be correct , in their infinite wisdom they decided that as you age you would become become forgetful and lock the car keys in the car...the answer to that is, carry a spare in your wallet.
The other question is, " how can I lock the drivers door from the inside , the answer is " ten minutes work and an angle grinder and pin-punch "
Remove the doorcard and find the blocking pin ( arrowed ) , taking great regard to Health and Safety , grind the protruding pin flush and tap it out with your hammer and punch ( give it a fair whack so that as it escapes , it jumps past the mechanism. )

Before..
2020_0216frdoorlock.JPG
2020_0216frdoorlock.JPG (313.9 KiB) Viewed 4201 times
After..
2020_0216RRearclock0001.JPG
2020_0216RRearclock0001.JPG (252.08 KiB) Viewed 4201 times

Re-fit the door card , and drive with confidence..

John ;-)
les
Minor Maniac

Re: In these uncertain times...

Post by les »

Good idea, then I can leave the shotgun at home. :D

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Good idea, then I can leave the shotgun at home. :D
Or carry on carrying it, in case you venture into London......... :roll: :wink:

I didn't know about the blocking pin though, never given my inability to lock my door from the inside a second thought, just thought each I considered it that 'they are all like that'.
Good idea, something else for the 'to do' list.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

There are different types of door lock. If I remember correctly (40+ years since I drove a four door), four doors and LCVs can be locked by pushing the operating lever forwards. That's perfect, becuase you automatically unlock it when opening the door to get out. On a two door or traveller, the later passenger doors had a small locking lever at the back edge. You can buy the equivalent lever (they are "handed") for the driver's door. Drill a hole to align with the correct place in the lock mechanism and then just pop the lever in.

Without going to look at a lock assembly, what effect does removing the blocking pin have? What do you do once you have removed it? Perhaps you are referring to a four door, but mine had either never had the blocking pin, or it had already been removed or broken off :-?

I've just checked the official Driver's Handbook )AKD680E), and it does refer to locking the four doors by operating the levers and well as the key for the right hand door.
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

" Without going to look at a lock assembly, what effect does removing the blocking pin have? What do you do once you have removed it? Perhaps you are referring to a four door, but mine had either never had the blocking pin, or it had already been removed or broken off :-?

I've just checked the official Driver's Handbook )AKD680E), and it does refer to locking the four doors by operating the levers and well as the key for the right hand door. "

Removing the pin allows the lever to be pushed forward , as with the passenger door , isolatng the outside handle.

John ;-)

1958 4 door.
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

My convertible doesnt have a pin but has a lip on the back of the handle mounting plate. I have ground that off and the handle does move forward now but still doesnt lock so I guess I will need the handed lever that fits into the outer door handle.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

There could also be a pin on the locking mechanism...
2020_0219RR0003.JPG
2020_0219RR0003.JPG (382.46 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
John ;-)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

That's interesting, as I tapped out the pin on my four doors drivers mechanism and it then locked from the inside, just like the other doors. However the outside handle 'overrides' it and still opens the door.
I will have a look at the lock when I strip the door down.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Mike
Try locking the outside handle , this will stop it working..

John ;-)
PMcP82
MMOC Member: No

Post by PMcP82 »

Now that's a major information! One of the things that worried me the most about getting "my" Morris back to living condition was the fact that I couldn't secure it from being stolen, but that'll help me a lot.