Tourer that just can't be saved

Found a Minor in a scrapyard? Let us all know about it and exactly where it can be found.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidmiles
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Tourer that just can't be saved

Post by davidmiles »

shame about this Morris Minor soft top, been hankering to get my hands on this for two years.

https://res.cloudinary.com/lglcsryth/im ... tnkuhc.jpg
Last edited by davidmiles on Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Re: Tourer that just can't be saved

Post by davidmiles »

the owner placed a price for restoration with the company that hold it in their rear scrap yard, company said way too low, the owner said he'll think about it and hasn't been contactable since, years later, she's gone from white to green moss coloured.

https://res.cloudinary.com/lglcsryth/ ... gngs.jpg
Last edited by davidmiles on Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

she is doomed to sit there and just fade away, such a shame, the owner now owes the cost of holding fee on top of any restoration work, the torsion bar bolts are welded over apparently.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

this fiat seems to be suffering the same fate

view inside from the open sun roof.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

she is doomed to sit there and just fade away, such a shame, the owner now owes the cost of holding fee on top of any restoration work
Apply for the V5, if this goes as I was once informed it does, the DVLA will contact the owner to verify, if he fails to respond within a certain time limit (not sure how many weeks this is now off the top of my head), the DVLA will assume you are the new keeper and issue a new V5 in your name.
If he gets in touch with the restoration company (which I doubt being he owes them money) you can negotiate a price with him, sounds like he wants shot anyway but doesn't want to face up to his debts.
Personally though I doubt he'll respond and the car could be yours. What have you got to loose.
Worse case scenario I can imagine is they refuse to issue a V5 because they've tightened up on the rules in some way.
If you get on with the restoration company they will probably be happy for you to remove it.
Beats leaving it to rot there.......
Best wishes,
Mike.

NB: One bit of good news is that according to the DVLA site 334 BXL still exists but has been untaxed since 1st October 2002.
It might want an MOT as well........................... :wink:
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

you know Jagnut, you may have a remarkably good idea there, I'll give it a go, as you say, what have I to loose.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The Post Office used have racks of forms, I can't help you with the number but it's probably all online these days anyway.
You are basically informing them you are the new keeper of said moggy, though in cases like this 'saviour' might be more accurate!
Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

not sure what you are proposing is legal,you are surely,fradulently deceiving the dvla that you are the new keeper,you are NOT.Think its defined as(Long time since I was involved in legalities)by any deception obtaining the execution of a valuable security ,as stated in the theft act. Be very cafeful of doing this.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

In this case I think the owner has very clearly abandoned it, anyway the way it was explained to me was as stated, the DVLA will contact the owner, so they will have the opportunity to get in touch with the restoration company and ask what is happening.
What you are doing is applying for the title to the said vehicle, the current holder may question this but to do so he will have to step back into the light and give his current contact details, something I get the feeling he is either unwilling or unable to do.
He may also be dead of course and his estate unaware of the cars existence.
The owner may refuse to sell, however, once his details are known, I think the legal team would probably be then set on him for non payment of debts.
Personally I would do it without hesitation in a case like this, because as I said I don't think the present keeper will bother about it, given the circumstances and the alternative is to send it to the crusher.
Which the restoration company would be perfectly within their rights to do, straight away, the owner is uncontactable and the vehicle is effectively dumped on their land (and has been for some time now).
It's up to the poster but if I lived closer I'd speak to the restoration company and, as long as they were happy, I'd do it myself.
I'm surprised the restoration company hasn't done this themselves, in lieu of debts.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Bear in mind that keeper, as recorded by dvla, and owner are not the same thing. There have been cases of people thinking they own a car and applying for a v5c only to then become caught in a legal dispute with the previous owner.

I believe there is an ownership procedure where the owner of the yard needs to serve notice to all known contact details of the person who left it with them stating that money is owed and if not settled it will become theirs. They can then apply for a v5c and sell it. I think this is the case but it probably requires legal advice.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Bear in mind that keeper, as recorded by dvla, and owner are not the same thing. There have been cases of people thinking they own a car and applying for a v5c only to then become caught in a legal dispute with the previous owner.
At least it would highlight who the owner is and where they are, better this than leave it there to rot away.
Too many once salvageable cars have suffered this fate already, some of which are now quite rare...…….
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

not trying to dispute your view of this but'
to apply for a v5, the application form clearly is designed so that the procedure you propose can not slip through the net so
to speak.
The dvla, Apart from reg no, model,make etc, request vin number /chassis no. (obviously to prevent some toe rag from simply using a reg no from a random pick in a car park to clone another vehicle) Don't think the garage would let you just walk in and get that info.

They also ask if you have not had a Doc for the vehicle in your name ,the date of you acquiring the vehicle,you haven't yet acquired it so you would have to make a false declaration at that point.

They then ask the reason why you need a replacement,lost damaged stolen etc. or other reason......,please explain .... Your reason to obtain v5 to get a response from the garage or previous owner so you can get the vehicle yourself .Don't think that would go down well ,so again you would have to make something acceptable up to satisfy dvla
Then sign the declaration ....as a true record :o :o

This was all introduced many years ago to prevent exactly what you propose,see a car apply for a log book(as it was back then) steal another same colour, swap number plates sell on and pocket a nice profit (Dealt with many in my time on the stolen vehicle squad they even used to grind off chassis numbers in an attempt to cloud the identity further,would think there are still a fair few still about)

Whist I see your proposal as an honourable way to keep one of our classics on the road I really don't see how it could be done without leaving yourself open to criminal action.

There is also the question regarding the garage who may have claimed ,innkeepers lien(An old but still applicable act) whereby
in civil law he can hold or sell on any property in lieu of payment of rent or charges involving his storage or services done.
You can try it if you want,but again I would advise you not to ,better to approach the garage and see what they say,they may be in a position to organise it for you. good luck
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

There is also the question regarding the garage who may have claimed ,innkeepers lien(An old but still applicable act) whereby
in civil law he can hold or sell on any property in lieu of payment of rent or charges involving his storage or services done.
You can try it if you want,but again I would advise you not to ,better to approach the garage and see what they say,they may be in a position to organise it for you. good luck
I was of the opinion that the OP had a good relationship with or at least knew those who work at this restoration company, so he could try this route, since, as you state, they have legitimate reason to 'seize' the vehicle in lieu of payment.
I only hope he isn't worn down by all the above legal browbeating and no longer interested.
Sadly, if so, then we are back to a situation where another clearly (IMHO) abandoned but at present salvageable classic car is left to rot through inaction.
Best wishes,
Mike.
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

amazes me that folk can leave classics like the Moggy and the Fiat to just sit there and rot away :cry: