Starting Dad's old Minor

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Starting Dad's old Minor

Post by simmitc »

Forgetting to push the choke in reminds of a tall story from the days when every car had a choke, and people didn't get upset about stereotypes... A little old lady took her car to the garage and complained that it ran very badly. The mechanic agreed to look at it but could find nothing wrong and returned the car to the customer. The next day the custopmer brought it back with the same complaint. Again no fault could be found. After this was repeated over the course of a week, the mechanic asked that the cusatomer took him for a drive to demonstrate the problem. When they were ready to set off, the little old lady pulled out the choke and hung her handbag on it - she though that was what it was for :roll: Every garage seemed to have the same customer, but I've never met the mechanic who actually witnessed the event.

Anyway Alice, you keep relating your adventures and never be afraid to ask questions, we'll always do whatever we can to help. The club does have an excellent network of branches and local help plus a great sociial life might be just around the corner. When you join, you'll also get a bi-monthly magazine that covers all sorts of things to do with the cars and the people that drive them.
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Alice Minor »

Ahh thx very much , I’ll try not to waffle on to much though 😂

Considering I’ve never used a manual choke before I don’t think I’m doing to bad , let’s hope she starts ok after work now I’ve said this 😂 but I’ll post how I get on since you don’t mind 😉
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

KeithL wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:42 am
Alice Minor wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:19 am I hope everyone is ok about me posting my experiences on here ?
Of course it's okay. It take me back to when we first got our Traveller and the fun and games we had. The first time we took it out we got stranded coming home because we hadn't mastered the hot/cold choke in/out and ended up flooding it. You will soon get the hang of it (and learn all sorts of skills you never knew you needed).

You may have already told us this in which case apologies, but do you know the service history of the car? If you are going to drive it regularly you may want to consider at least getting it looked over by someone who knows their way around a Morris - oil, coolant, brakes, all round lubrication etc. As myoldjalopy said, these older cars need more regular servicing than modern cars. A check over every 3,000 miles is recommended.

Hi Keith

I’ve found my dads books etc regarding the car, he used the same garage for everything and it was only serviced, greased etc etc 5 weeks ago and only done a couple of hundred miles so I’m guessing ok for now but thx for the advice, for me it’s all about getting used to cold starting her and the steering and brakes, everything else came natural , definitely different to a 1 year old Nissan duke which at least is a back up if she doesn’t start , all I need now for her is a name, any suggestions ??
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Alice Minor wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:30 pm all I need now for her is a name, any suggestions ??
What's the reg number (if you want to share - no problem if you don't) and colour? A photo would be nice so we can get a feel for her - she seems like one of the family already and we haven't seen her yet.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Alice Minor wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:30 pm all I need now for her is a name, any suggestions ??
I'm guessing your Dad never had a name for the car then, or perhaps you just want to start out afresh.

We kept the name which our car's previous owner had given him.
The Reg letters are BSL, so he's called Basil.
Unusual for a car (or any form of transport really) to have a male name, but it seems to suit. :wink:

Reg letters can be a source of inspiration, as Keith indicated.
Basil the 1955 series II

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Well, bearing in mind the steepness of the learning curve you've embarked on in deciding to actually use the car rather than just keeping it locked away in a garage, you could christen it 'Wonderland' which, you may feel, is particularly appropriate whenever you're driving it! 8)
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

geoberni wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:43 pm Unusual for a car (or any form of transport really) to have a male name, but it seems to suit.
We wanted a boy and as it happened our Traveller was already called Alfred when we bought it, named after the Grandfather of the lad who restored it. It seemed entirely appropriate to keep the name, which I think the family appreciated.

Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

Only 30 minutes to go 😁
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

'geobernie': "The Reg letters are BSL, so he's called Basil." Oh, I see...............I thought it was 'cos you kept finding things that were 'fawlty' with him! :D :wink:
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

She will be fine, Alice.....you're getting the hang of it all now! 8)
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

Hi guys

Here’s an update on the car after work

At 5.30 when I finished work and I was just changing my shoes as driving her in 5” stilettos isn’t a good idea 😂 I was feeling nervous so I asked 1 of the girls ( Linda ) if she wanted dropping off on the way home , she’s 52 but young looking , we walked towards the car and she was looking for my Nissan, I stopped at the moggy , after getting in Linda was asking me questions about where she came from etc , anyway I put the keys in and turned the ignition on and waited for the fuel pump to stop ticking, I turned the key and she spluttered ( no choke ) I was amazed so I tried her again , she started but conked out straight away, I decided to give her 1/4 choke and tried again , she started but was running a lot slower than with 3/4 choke this morning, I put my belt on selected 1st gear , went to pull away and she kangarood and stalled , I turned the key but only spluttered so gave her 1/2 choke and she started and I managed to pull away , Linda was asking what I was playing with that knob for ( her words not mine ) 😂, anyway after explaining to her I was 1/2 mile along the road and pushed the choke in and she was fine all the way home , now tucked up in the garage ready for in the morning again 😜

It’s different but exciting, I love the thought that goes into it before turning the key , wondering if she’s gonna start or not , am I being daft or possibly looking for some excitement ?? , anybody else feel like this ?

Thx guys

Alice x
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Our Traveller has a male name.............

My wife who is an animal lover wanted to call him "Johnny" after Johnny Morris the famous presenter of a 1960's TV programme called Animal Magic.

I was not too sure about having a car called Johnny :-? , so we eventually settled on "Desmond" after Desmond Morris the presenter of another 60's animal programme called Zoo Time.

Phil
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

There you are, Alice I said she'd be fine. 8) Looks like the old girl needs 1/2 to 3/4 choke to start easily in winter........
Assuming the car is in good running order and regularly serviced there shouldn't be any question of the car not starting - once you have the hang of the choke knob! If you ever do flood her again, put the choke back in and turn her over on the ignition key with your foot down on the accelerator pedal and that should clear the excess petrol so you can start the car.
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

pgp001 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:45 pm Our Traveller has a male name.............

My wife who is an animal lover wanted to call him "Johnny" after Johnny Morris the famous presenter of a 1960's TV programme called Animal Magic.

I was not too sure about having a car called Johnny :-? , so we eventually settled on "Desmond" after Desmond Morris the presenter of another 60's animal programme called Zoo Time.

Phil

Not sure if I’d want a car called condom err I mean Johnny either 😂
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:57 pm There you are, Alice I said she'd be fine. 8) Looks like the old girl needs 1/2 to 3/4 choke to start easily in winter........
Assuming the car is in good running order and regularly serviced there shouldn't be any question of the car not starting - once you have the hang of the choke knob! If you ever do flood her again, put the choke back in and turn her over on the ignition key with your foot down on the accelerator pedal and that should clear the excess petrol so you can start the car.

I was amazed she almost started without choke and actually did on 1/4 even though she stalled as I pulled away , considering the temperature was 2 degrees
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Oi Phil. My Traveller is just up the road from you in Leeds, and has been called Desmond for the last eight years (even if he hasn't ventured far outside the garage....) He was named after the same man, but not for Zoo Time. Desmond Morris wrote a best selling book in the 1960's called The Naked Ape, which is where I and many of my contemporaries learned most of what we know about the detailed mechanics of sex. Which possibly isn't quite as much as we know about the detailed mechanics of Morris Minors...

Mark
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I was amazed she almost started without choke and actually did on 1/4 even though she stalled as I pulled away , considering the temperature was 2 degrees
Once you get used to her ways (and her choke!) you'll never want to get in a modern again, Moggies are much more fun! :wink:

As to a name, well as it was your dads car why not name her after something that will remind you of happy days spent with him.
Did he like gardening? -- A favourite plant of his with a female sounding name -- for example......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Yes, at this time of year, you generally need to use a fair bit of choke (at least half way) from a cold start, whereas in summer, you often don't need any at all.

My 1970 Traveller's choke control (with HIF carb) is quite slack, so it tends to automatically work its way in as I set off, so I only have to push it in the last little bit after a mile or so down the road. :)

Another thought if you're having problems, is to check that the dashpot on the carb is topped up with enough engine oil - you really need to check the level of it at least every month or so (fill it up to approx. 0.5" below the top of the dashpot). Without enough oil in there, you will encounter all sorts of weird starting/running issues; I once had to help a fellow Uni student when he couldn't start his Morris Ital in snowy conditions - a quick top up of the carb dashpot oil later, and all was well again.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Alice Minor
Minor Friendly

Post by Alice Minor »

Morning guys x

Well it was -3 up here this morning so all wrapped up for winter 😂

I opened the garage and jumped in , ignition on and sat and waited for the fuel pump to stop then turned the key , she only turned over so I gave her 1/4 choke , she spluttered so tried again and she only turned over so went for 1/2 choke , she started but conked out , I tried again but she only spluttered so gave her 3/4 choke and tried again , she started but sounded rough and when I tried to rev her she spluttered and what sounded like a backfire and conked out , at this point I turned the ignition off and sat and had a cigarette and redid my lipstick and had another try at 3/4 , she spluttered before starting but still sounded rough so I didn’t dare try revving her just yet , I tried easing the choke in a touch but that made it worse so went back to 3/4 then eased it out to between 3/4 and full and she picked up and sounded loads better so I backed her out the garage, left her running while I closed the garage door, got back in and began the journey to work , I slowly eased the choke in bit by bit but it took forever to get it fully in , in fact about 1 mile down the road she was on about 1/4 , went to pull away at a roundabout, she started to splutter and kangaroo so I quickly pulled the choke back out to 1/2 and she picked up and off I went , I’m guessing maybe 2 miles before I got the choke fully in but I’m at work , a quick change into my office shoes and I’m ready for work

I hope this is ok with you guys ?

Just wondering if anybody is around my age and any lady owners out there by any chance or even your wives if they drive them and how they get on ?

Thx

Alice x
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:00 pm 'geobernie': "The Reg letters are BSL, so he's called Basil." Oh, I see...............I thought it was 'cos you kept finding things that were 'fawlty' with him! :D :wink:
Well that could be another reason.... :roll: :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II