WRA466F

For owners of Pandas and other ex-police minors
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GarethSephton
MMOC Member: No

WRA466F

Post by GarethSephton »

Can anyone tell me if this is an ex police car was told it was around the Northamptonshire area the car is black

Thanks Gareth
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: WRA466F

Post by geoberni »

Hi Gareth
Well there's certainly something odd about it as far as official DVLA records.
The Registration database says 1st Registered April '68, while the MOT Register says January '67.

As an F Reg, it was registered between 1 August 1967 – 31 July 1968, so it would appear the MOT Register is wrong.

What makes you think it is a former Police vehicle?

Of course, it might have been brought for CID use, there's no reason for it to have been a Panda, so it doesn't have to have any 'tell tales' on the vehicle itself, like some pale blue paint somewhere.
The RA in the registration would indicate Derbyshire Vehicle Registration Office, so that doesn't bode well for the idea of it being a Northamptonshire council vehicle.
Their office letters were BD, NV & RP.
They're both Midlands counties, but Leicestershire is between them.

Perhaps someone else might be able to come up with some ideas?

Is it yours, or are you looking to buy it?
Basil the 1955 series II

burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

I don't know of any police force CID that used black Morris Minors but I could be wrong. A giveaway for a panda would be the Zip in the headlining.
[img]jpg[/img]
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

burnham28 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:07 pm I don't know of any police force CID that used black Morris Minors but I could be wrong. A giveaway for a panda would be the Zip in the headlining.
I posted this link to a Fleabay advert 2 years ago. viewtopic.php?f=73&t=67440
The Fleabay page is too old to work now, but as I recall, it was a Black Minor that had been languishing in an old factory building for decades, hence my comment at the time of 'makes a change not to be a Panda'.

Some time ago, I happened across this Open University page of Police personal recollections: https://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/history-fro ... hs50s.html which includes this:
Jim Rankin: Redhill utilised part of the old Fire Station and I recall CID used Ford Anglia/Popular around 1959/60 which were stored in the old fire station awaiting disposal. Division used Hillman Husky and CID had Morris Minor.
Given that there used to be some 117 Police Forces in England & Wales in the mid 1960s, I'm sure there was plenty of scope for car purchasing.... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

GarethSephton
MMOC Member: No

Post by GarethSephton »

Hi bud thanks for the reply it's a friends car but I am hoping to buy it in the near future it's just what hes been told next time I see him will grab some pics and hopefully bit more info