Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Cannot Edit as Before - Why Not?

Post by IslipMinor »

Moderators?

Why has the ability to edit a posting been stopped a few minutes after posting? We used to be able to edit at any time, which was very useful to correct errors in an earlier posting - not everyone reads all the way through multiple pages only to find that the earlier suggestion was actually wrong! Much better to be able to correct at any time.

Please restore the original edit functionality.
Richard

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Cannot Edit as Before - Why Not?

Post by Admin »

One of the reasons for limiting editing abilities is due to instances where some posters have got into 'spats' with other posters and decided to go back and delete all their posts as some sort of 'taking my ball home' foot-stamping, which has left complete threads 'broken' and their useful content out of sync. I've asked the posters concerned to stop lobbing brickbats at each other but, as the expression goes, 'some fell on stony ground'. If something needs correcting, obviously anyone can post a clarification or correction in a later post on the thread. If, as you suggest, some people take advice from a thread but don't read through to the end of it, I'd humbly suggest that they're possibly being a little reckless :)
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. How long is the gap between posting and supressing the edit? It seems a very short time, only a few minutes? Could that be extended into 24 hours or so?
Richard

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

The setting was an hour, but now reset to a day. I think the setting will only apply to posts made from now though
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much, that will give time to reflect on a post and ensure that it is at least as good as it can be at the time of posting.
Richard

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

My thanks on this matter too Mike. I think this is an important feature, especially if posting technical advice/info, as errors and sausage-finger syndrome can lead to errors which may be (1) not noticed immediately and (2) result in unsafe advice.
1956 4-door called Max