Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Powertune or Lockheed servo

Post by GavinL »

I'm stripping down Vanessa, and discovered that she is fitted with a new Powertune brake servo, which appeared to be working ok, but to be honest we didn't drive her much before taking her off the road to restore.

Question is, if I'm going to stick with a servo ( I'm well aware of the school of thought that they are not necessary, and that is a consideration I'm also taking into account), should I stick with the Powertune or replace with a Lockheed item - what are the experiences of others? I've read mixed reviews of the Powertune units, are newer ones better than the older ones?

She has standard brake drums etc.
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Powertune or Lockheed servo

Post by les »

Wouldn't it be best to try what you've already got, and see what you think.? Better that ditching it prematurely for another servo. Or am I missing your point?

GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Les, yes I probably will do, I was just wondering if people are still fitting the Powertune units, and if so are they ok, as there appear to be a lot of people had problems with them at one time.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

If it is not necessary, by all means remove it, but simply replacing a perfectly operational driving aid seems pointless.

Yes, if you can lock the brakes with a non-servo brake pedal, a servo is not strictly necessary. But the servo will allow the same force, required to lock the brakes, with a reduced pedal pressure - so less driver effort.

I have used the same model of tractors, with and without power steering. I know which is the easier to drive (particularly if a front end loader is fitted!). If you look up the mechanical ‘gain’ of the two units you refer to, you may find one provides more ‘gain’ than the other. I would suggest that even a moderate ‘gain’ is sufficient for the drum brake system, whereas a disc braked system might benefit from a larger servo and with much harder pad material.

If you decide to throw your servo away, please send it to me. I’ll pay the shipping.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Servos are great if you have arthritic knees!
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Tinasminor »

Love these threads when no one actually answers the question,lol.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I have also heard bad comments about Powertune units , my suggestion is to " suck it and see " , if it gives problems change it out for a Lockheed unit. N.B. There are many variations of Lockheed units giving a wide variety of a " boost " ratios.

John ;-)
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Tinasminor wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:16 am Love these threads when no one actually answers the question,lol.

I wonder if you're maybe being a bit hasty - the question was only asked just over four years ago; potential respondents are probably still mulling over their replies :lol:
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly

Post by blue_cortina »

So what happened in the last four years. Was it removed ? Was it replaced. Was it left in and is perfectly ok? Be interesting to know.
Helping my son with his Morris Minor 1970 Panda Car Replica (both club members)
Tinasminor
Minor Friendly

Post by Tinasminor »

Anyway since were here now, I am thinking of buying a powertune servo what problems do they have?
Cheers Steve.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Had a powertune servo fitted for 5 years and not had a problem yet.