Help for ''Marina thermostat housing set on Minor ''

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sandun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Help for ''Marina thermostat housing set on Minor ''

Post by Sandun »

Hi

Please give me some information about - ''how to set Marina thermostat housing for Morris Minor ''

Because i find this, I want to set temperature meter sensor - ( my 1957 car has not place to set the temp sensor ) any one try it befor please Advice me saying , it can or can not or how to do it ?

Regards
Sandun.

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Help for ''Marina thermostat housing set on Minor ''

Post by philthehill »

Sandun
Using the search facility - here is a bit more information for you as regards the use of a Marina thermostat housing.
The thermostat housing needs to come from a 1800cc Marina with the 'B' Series engine and the part number given in the BL parts list for the housing is CAM1363.
Enlarging the stud holes by approximately 1/16" will put the hose connection to the radiator in the right place.

I am still trying to find the photo of the adapted thermostat housing placed on this site - someone may have the photo or link to it and place on here.

If I come across anymore info I will let you know by post that info on here.
Phil

Sandun
Minor Addict

Post by Sandun »

Is it ?
Attachments
mbimage-1.jpg
mbimage-1.jpg (99.68 KiB) Viewed 3937 times

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Sandun
Having enlarged the picture I can confirm that the thermostat in the picture is the correct Marina thermostat either Pt No: 12G3535 or Pt No: CAM1363.
Unless you can get the capillary transmitter raised to clear the thermostat when it is open by using a spacer screwed into the top of the thermostat housing I would recommend that you use an electric temp transmitter which is fitted into the top of the thermostat housing as per the picture utilising an adapter.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MORRIS-MI ... SwkNZUd0wS

I can also confirm that opening out the 5/16" holes to 3/8" allows the Marina thermostat housing with top fill plug to sit in the right place.
There is still enough metal around the stud hole to nip the gasket. Use a later card type casket instead of the cork type.

The Marina thermostat housing filler plug was used on several other BMC / Rover group vehicles and some had a brass filler plug. That plug could be drilled and tapped to accept the temp transmitter as I suspect the person carrying out the fitment of the transmitter in the photo above has done.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-De ... zC7es_lxmQ
Phil
Last edited by philthehill on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I think the MGB one fits if I have remembered correctly :-?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The MGB (with electric fan) thermostat housing with the screwed top filler is Pt No: CAM1577 (MOSS) and has the alternator/air pump bracket fitted.
http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/housing-th ... soc=108661

The earlier MGB (with mechanical fan) thermostat housing does not have the screwed top filler plug & is either Pt No: 12H797 or 12H2556Z.

The 1275cc Marina/Ital thermostat housing with top filler is Pt No: 12G3535 and is fitted to the 10V & 12V Marina/Ital engines

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Landrover Defender filler plug arrived today and screws nicely into the top of the Marina thermostat housing Pt No: 12G3535.
Next step is to drill and tap (5/8" UNF - same as the tapping in the head) the filler plug so that adapters either BL Pt No: 11K2847 (capillary transmitter) or Pt No: 11K2846 (electric transmitter/female bulb) can be screwed into the filler plug/thermostat housing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUXILIARY-GA ... SwNRlYJHfo

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogse ... &q=11K2847

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Drilled and tapped the defender filler plug to 5/8" UNF which is same as the temp sender thread in the head.
Fitted the modified filler plug to the Marina 12G3535 thermostat housing and all is now ready to fit what ever temp sender/adapter is chosen.

A 5mm pilot drilling was used before drilling through with the 14.5mm tapping drill.
When drilling the defender filler plug use a lathe if possible to ensure that the tapped hole remains central.
The tap was mounted in the pillar drill to ensure that the tap was kept true to the hole and the chuck was turned by hand with pressure on the drill handle.
Discard the rubber sealing ring and use a fiber or copper washer. May require the rubber sealing ring retaining lip to be removed.
Loctite the defender filler plug in place.
Attachments
100_3120.JPG
100_3120.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3691 times
100_3119.JPG
100_3119.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3691 times
100_3116.JPG
100_3116.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 3691 times

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I presume this is only really advantageous to use on an A-series without a pre-existing temp sensor drilling in the cylinder head?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The brass filler plug was modified to allow the fitment of a temperature gauge transmitter.