56 Split-Screen Coupe BARN FIND!

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oilypaws
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

56 Split-Screen Coupe BARN FIND!

Post by oilypaws »

Look what I just bought!! (collecting tomorrow, all going well). It's a 56 split screen coupe with the 800 cc engine, which has sat in a garage under a house since the late 70s. The seller had inherited it from the original owner, it was only driven on weekends, and she was sure the mileage is the indicated 39,000 (i.e. it hasn't been around the clock).
616246643.jpg
616246643.jpg (163.54 KiB) Viewed 8252 times
As you can see, there is surface rust on the paint, but no holes! Underneath it is one of the best I've seen - no rot in the sills or floor. It doesn't run (no spark, I predict it will take 10 minutes to fix that) and the brakes don't work, of course. However, the interior is fantastic - completely original, nice tidy carpets, and the red vinyl has no tears and is nice and supple. It has a sticker on the window saying the next oil change is due at 42,000 miles, and it looks about a year old - except the date on it is 1976. It has all the legal stickers of the time - WOF, registration, and a "carless day" sticker saying it wasn't to be driven on Thursdays (petrol saving measure from the late 70s). It has all the tools, a pump, and all the original manuals and ownership papers.

I'm hoping it can be put back on the road with minimal work - it would be a shame to pull it all apart for repainting, and it doesn't need any structural repairs.

QUESTION: Any recommendations for how to tidy up and protect the existing finish (lets call it "patina")? E.g. rub with some kind of wax or oil?

Some more pics:
616246625.jpg
616246625.jpg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 8252 times
616246583.jpg
616246583.jpg (132.25 KiB) Viewed 8252 times
616246629.jpg
616246629.jpg (101.13 KiB) Viewed 8252 times

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 56 Split-Screen Coupe BARN FIND!

Post by myoldjalopy »

How exciting! Its always good to find a 'time-warp' example of an unmolested 'forgotten' car :D
That surface rust is going to be the biggest problem. Its gone beyond 'patina' and I would say a stripdown and respray would be the way to go....good luck though, be great when you get her to fire up!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

oilypaws wrote: QUESTION: Any recommendations for how to tidy up and protect the existing finish (lets call it "patina")? E.g. rub with some kind of wax or oil?
If you want to keep the surface rust and the 'rat look', I'd just give it a thorough wipe down with an oily rag, or maybe rub in some (A LOT) of petroleum jelly. Alternatively, a bit of prep to get rid of the flaky stuff, then some clear lacquer.

P.S. seats are probably leather not vinyl. Best find out and get some hide food on them if they are leather :)
1956 4-door called Max
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

If you are not planning to use it too much in the rain just regularly wax or oil it, there are also etch laquers out there but as with all paints over rust it will eventually begin to lift.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Looks very solid great find :)
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I do hope you not paint it.

For my tastes many minors are over restored and loose their original charm with very shiney paintwork etc.

I was looking around 58he car park at recent Goodwood Revival - It was noticeable the unrestored cars of all makes were attracting attention
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Hot soapy water followed by a cutting compound and then lots of wax. The compound will reduce the visible rust by removing any staining from the paint. The wax will help prolong the finish.

Rod
moggy1960
Minor Friendly

Post by moggy1960 »

That beautiful old girl needs to be kept as is and go no where near a paint shop. It's a piece of history and far more interesting to see this being used as is then some of this over restored stuff. It wants a wipe down with an oily rag. Or cleaned and dried and lacquered as is. I wish I could have done mine like this but she was way too far gone.
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

That is a fabulous and rare find, well done! All the very best with it. And I love that external sun visor - never seen one like that before.
]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'd certainly pay attention to the area of rust on the roof, it looks to have taken hold more than elsewhere, maybe something constantly dripping on it. Last thing you want is a hole in the roof panel. Nice find though!

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Anyone know the maker of the sun visor??
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

so..has it been painted or not?
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Are you restoring the car ??
nutsandbolts
Minor Friendly

Post by nutsandbolts »

Fantastic, I am a bit late reading this post (new member) what did you do with it? oily rag or restore?
Larry
the most unreliable part of a car is the nut holding the steering wheel!