Battery

To share thoughts, ideas and inspirations on the subject of councours, judging and how to restore your Minor to showroom condition
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SuziQ
MMOC Member: No

Battery

Post by SuziQ »

I now need a new battery; the old one is dead.

Do I buy an modern 038 for £40 or spend £150 on a period rubber one from Lincon Batteries (or Shield Batteries etc)?

My car is a 1098cc, 1963 saloon, which should have a mono-bar (I think that's what they are called) battery, however Lincon (Shield) only supply a 165 which is open bar (OK for the older models of Minor); they say the mould is broken for the one I need.

Do Concours judges take account for the fact that the correct battery is no longer available for the Minor from 1962 onwards?

If I'm going to be marked down for having an open bar battery, I may as well save £100 and buy a modern one.

Grateful for your comments
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Re: Battery

Post by dalebrignall »

depends how keen you are to win i suppose . the lincon battery does seem a lot of money to me , if it was me i would get a modern battery and put a licon sticker on it . at the end of the day a battery is a battery and it does a job . its personal choice im afraid . the wise thing to do would be to ask the clubs concourse man richard lee
[sig]5641[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

£150 battery if you're well off and a fanatic or £40 battery otherwise. Lucas batteries were original fitment, if they too are a ridiculous price I'm sure you would get away with a Lucas sticker on a normal 038 battery.
------- main thing is to polish that exhaust pipe! :D

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

There are companies in the US http://www.antiqueautobattery.com which produce covers cases to go over modern batteries and give them the right period look.Unfortunately I cannot find anyone who either does the same in the UK or imports them here. I would love such a cover but postage from the Us would I suspect be prohibitive and I am not paying £150 for a battery when £50.00 will do the same job.