Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel smell

Post by svenedin »

Chief wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:11 pm
svenedin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:01 pm The boot needs a good airing before I can judge whether the fuel smell is cured.
Coffee or Bircarbonate of Soda/Baking Soda in a tray is meant to help remove odour quicker.

Funnily enough yesterday I re-discovered a bottle of Autoglym Odour Eliminator that I'd bought when I bought a much smoked in parts car many years ago. All I remember about it is it did nothing whatsoever in combating the cigarette smell while my attempts with Febreeze ended in failure since the places I used it became covered in mould.
Thank you. I'll give the bicarb a go. I would like to be able to go on picnic without my lunch tasting of petrol! I have a carpet over the boot shelf and I noticed that the backing had started to disintegrate to black powder presumably from exposure to petrol fumes (must be some kind of rubber). That happened to a pair of my outdoor gloves as well (they had a sort of rubberised grip).

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

Posted earlier in the thread:

ESM replaced my fuel tank complete with new sender unit in November 2022 and also the filler tube hose (they used rubber hose).

And now:

The old gasket (which is not old, only fitted months ago) had torn in two places. Perhaps I overtightened it but I remember being careful. Maybe it was not properly centralised or perhaps it is just too thin and fragile

That first posting gave me the distinct impression that ESM supplied it complete, not in kit form. Or did you remove and replace the sender unit? Fitting gaskets is such a basic task - if it is broken, don’t use it.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

oliver90owner wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:57 am Posted earlier in the thread:

ESM replaced my fuel tank complete with new sender unit in November 2022 and also the filler tube hose (they used rubber hose).

And now:

The old gasket (which is not old, only fitted months ago) had torn in two places. Perhaps I overtightened it but I remember being careful. Maybe it was not properly centralised or perhaps it is just too thin and fragile

That first posting gave me the distinct impression that ESM supplied it complete, not in kit form. Or did you remove and replace the sender unit? Fitting gaskets is such a basic task - if it is broken, don’t use it.
ESM fitted a new tank complete in 2022 but there was a persistent fuel smell. I fitted a new sender gasket some months back but it did not make any difference. Yesterday I fitted another new gasket and found the one I had fitted previously was damaged.

Checking today with my nose, the sender area seems to be stink free but the filler hose does smell of petrol on the outside. The clips are tight and secure and the hose is very new. It may be that when I am careless on filling up and end up with wet feet (the petrol station hose does not automatically stop) some of the petrol runs down inside the boot.

Stephen

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I've given up on this for now because I have an awful cold and I can't smell anything at all!

I seem to have sorted out the sender area but now it is the fuel hose that seems to smell. It is the bit of the hose in the middle that bridges the gap. It is an expensive silicone hose from ESM but seems no better than the rubber one it replaced. Holden sell fuel filler hose that is flurosilicone lined but I will have to measure to see if they sell the right diameter.

I am not too worried about it because this is an issue that has been going on for decades. It would have been great to fix it once and for all.

Stephen

Stephen
Ingles49

Post by Ingles49 »

Have you checked the gasket on the petrol gauge sender unit. Mine deteriorated (they are cork I think) and I got a strong petrol smell. They are easy to replace even if it does take a while to remove the woodden boot floor covering (passenger side only). Also if you take the sender out remember which way round it goes otherwise your fuel gauge won't read properly.