Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
fasthamster
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Carpet adheshive

Post by fasthamster »

Good Evening,

For anyone who has fitted a full carpet set, including under felt, would a standard can of 500ml spray carpet adhesive be adequate to apply to the underfelt/floor layer and the carpet/under felt layer ?
Any recommendations on a good heavy duty carpet adhesive welcome ?

Thanks Moggers
Budgie
Minor Addict

Re: Carpet adheshive

Post by Budgie »

Do you really want to be "gluing" the carpets / underlay down? Is there a real need to do so. :o
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Personally I would not stick felt underlay down or carpet for that matter.
Underlay is notorious for soaking up the damp especially in the foot-wells
Better if fitted so as to be able to remove if damp in the underlay is found.
Once stuck down not much can be done
I would fit loose under the carpet and let the carpet hold the underlay in place.

fasthamster
Minor Friendly

Post by fasthamster »

The only reason I thought glueing was required is because some sellers of under felt and carpet recommend spray adhesive.
I would like the fit to be taut, no sagginess. Can this be achieved in the medium to long term without glueing down the components ?
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Post by LouiseM »

You'll need some adhesive for the side edging strips - the bits of carpet that go between the floor and the door 'step'. If you get a decent quality carpet that fits well then there shouldn't be any sagginess.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Agreed - use spray adhesive for the side strips and double sided carpet tape on the main areas if you really want to stick the underlay and carpet down.
My underlay and carpet panels are fitted without adhesive of any kind and are held firmly in place at the front by the seat mountings and at the rear by the back of the seat frames. Never had a problem with the carpets moving.
Also a good idea to use heavy rubber mats in the footwells, available with the correct logo from most suppliers. :D
Attachments
image24.jpg
image24.jpg (247.31 KiB) Viewed 2214 times

fasthamster
Minor Friendly

Post by fasthamster »

Lovely colour and fit there Boomlander :wink: Is that a re-spray job or new ?

I'll follow everyone's advice, a bit of adhesive on the sides only. This will allow me to get to the brake master cylinder without destroying the carpet.
Thanks all.
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

This will allow me to get to the brake master cylinder without destroying the carpet.

(Carpet left unstuck for access to the lubrication point for the steering rack also of course )
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Another option is to use Velcro stuck in place on the top of the sills. It seems to work quite well, however I agree with the above posts that sticking carpet and / or under felt to the floor itself would be inviting trouble. On mine I found that although a good quality carpet has been used the previous owners tried to save by using household carpet underlay. I will now have to scrape this off before I replace it with proper car under felt.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_1dscf29701.jpg
rsz_1rsz_1dscf29701.jpg (89.33 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
rsz_1rsz_1dscf29691.jpg
rsz_1rsz_1dscf29691.jpg (139.45 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Last edited by jagnut66 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

[quote="fasthamster"]Lovely colour and fit there Boomlander :wink: Is that a re-spray job or new ?

The carpets are hand made (Not by me I must add!) the paintwork is all newly sprayed. :D

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I have a trimmed 'sole replacement' evo-sticked to my carpeted wheel arch as this is where the accelerator foot rests and it always wore through there. Properly trimmed it looks good and saves the carpet or at least a hole in the carpet.
MorrismattVan
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrismattVan »

Yes just get a can of contact adhesive, one should be enough. Just glue the strips down, but be sparing with it, then if you need to pull the carpets up then it won't take much to pull them up. Then the main carpets I just simply placed down. Hope this helps!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

And don't forget to loosen the kick plates so that you can get the carpet edge tucked neatly under them.......... :)