Post details of Rallies, road runs and other events here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: MMOC National Rally 2017

Post by woodiesenfrance »

Agreed, but where will it end? Old Fogeys in whatever cars on the UK version of MOT?
FlyDrive to the 'proper' MOT abroad?
If no-one bothers to go to any event in a Minor........what's the point of the MMOC or of other Minor Clubs, and of this Forum?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Look hang on a minute, my van started to play up a bit on its last journey, (Thursday) and as I want an enjoyable outing with no hassle, I thought I'd take my car. Why on earth are you reading all this doom and gloom into it?
Life goes on and night will still follow day. :roll:

dudford
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by dudford »

les wrote:Look hang on a minute, my van started to play up a bit on its last journey, (Thursday) and as I want an enjoyable outing with no hassle, I thought I'd take my car. Why on earth are you reading all this doom and gloom into it?
Life goes on and night will still follow day. :roll:
I think the only thing we can take away from this series of unfortunate events is that you've let me down, you've let the MMOC down but more importantly you've let your lovely looking Van down :lol:
Dudders
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well actually the van let me down!! --- but I forgive it because it's been as good as gold up 'till now. I only hope people can find it in their hearts to forgive me!!! :D

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I went along yesterday in my 1970 Traveller, and was pleased to say that:

a) the car made it there and back (approx. 160 miles) without major drama, apart from going up the steep Detling Hill on the way home, whereupon the oil pressure gauge was dropping fast (it went below 20psi! :o ) while the water temp gauge was rising way above 'N' - I suspect the slightly over-advanced ignition timing and pinking going up the steep hill had something to do with it - I stopped at the garage at the top of the hill and let it all cool down, checked the oil, etc., and it was OK after that. Something I should have checked before venturing on a long journey, really...

b) the show was well worth attending, with a decent turnout of cars, most in very nice condition, and a pretty good selection of autojumble - I came away with a few goodies to hopefully improve mine and help keep it on the road.

A good day out, so thanks to the organisers. :D My only slight criticism - there didn't seem to be a beer tent, so bring some with you if you fancy a pint! :wink:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

I made it there too yesterday. Slight 'splutter' from Eric after the Dartford crossing on Friday but after that he ran really well with no other problems (around 160 miles driven over the 2 days) :P The bar is in the main marquee - left hand side. It didn't look like it was open when I went there yesterday but as you approach it the bar man suddenly appears through a tent flap :wink:

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

les wrote:I'm surprised the absence of my van is such a big deal! Don't blame the Mmoc for my decision. It's nice to attend in a Minor but it's not the be all and end all ! :o
Don't worry Les,just got back. Now I know what you go through to get up North. Good weekend. Great tribute band. My thanks to all who organised the event. Not too sure what the announcements about pest control in the Forest were about. Might have been better to hear the truth, someone is blasting wildlife to bits with a shotgun..in the name of sport. :evil:
Attachments
DSC02207.JPG
DSC02207.JPG (2.36 MiB) Viewed 21171 times
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I was quite amazed to see a rather nice green Traveller, registration FMF 504J with a very similar registration plate to mine (FMF 286J). :o

It had a 'West Sussex Branch' sticker in the back window. Is it owned by anyone on here by any chance, and presumably it was first registered in Middlesex circa 1970?
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well done Ed, glad it went well for you, weather not too bad in general, and decent turnout. My sentiments entirely re the so called 'pest' control, they're not even safe in their own environment ; someone has to go into their home and spill blood. God knows we've driven them out of most of their habitats, and want more, Difficult to work out the mindset of some people. Hearing that announcement spoil my day.

Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

les wrote:Well done Ed, glad it went well for you, weather not too bad in general, and decent turnout. My sentiments entirely re the so called 'pest' control, they're not even safe in their own environment ; someone has to go into their home and spill blood. God knows we've driven them out of most of their habitats, and want more, Difficult to work out the mindset of some people. Hearing that announcement spoil my day.
Les,didn't know you were there..I would have looked for you,sorry I missed you !
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I was there Saturday, guess you did Sunday as the only person I recognised was Alan T with his regular stall, and I did several laps of the fields!
Edit. ------ just noticed the tent in the picture, seems likely you were there Saturday!

HarryMango
Minor Addict

Post by HarryMango »

Had a great time at the National, shame about the lower turnout of cars but was good to see some different ones - The Queen tribute band were very good at the party & it was good to meet new & catch up with previously met friendly owners - I made the intrepid trip from Leicester in my 948 Traveller with just trafficators - 356 miles round trip & was well pleased with 43mpg (plus a slug or 2 of oil)

Rog
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

les wrote:I was there Saturday, guess you did Sunday as the only person I recognised was Alan T with his regular stall, and I did several laps of the fields!
Edit. ------ just noticed the tent in the picture, seems likely you were there Saturday!
There from Friday,didn't go anywhere near the M25, congested race track.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

the m25 was a good carpark on sunday night took me more than 3 hours to do 75 miles
[sig]5641[/sig]
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Leaving at 430, we managed to do the (same?) journey in "just" 2.5 hours. It was only the clear roads at either end of the M25 that brought our average speed for the whole trip up to 30 mph.

Can we have the rally somewhere (anywhere) else next year??
badobsession
Minor Fan

Post by badobsession »

See everyone next year

SCOTTISH BRANCH CHAIRMAN .
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I did 635 miles round trip in the traveller and camped all weekend. As already said a good event, shame it was much smaller than other years but still good to catch up with all the old friends!

Been told at the AGM its Kelmarsh next year so much more central

Too many Minors so little time.....
rufus56

Post by rufus56 »

Chipper wrote:I was quite amazed to see a rather nice green Traveller, registration FMF 504J with a very similar registration plate to mine (FMF 286J). :o

It had a 'West Sussex Branch' sticker in the back window. Is it owned by anyone on here by any chance, and presumably it was first registered in Middlesex circa 1970?
Hi the traveller is mine and I've had it for about three years to go with my 56 seriesII 4-door, it takes my mobility scooter. Ive nearly finished modifying it to make it easier to use, things like a lightened clutch, the new re-manufactured van wheels to take 155 tyres properly that's had the effect of lightening the steering, moving the dip switch to the column using a MK2 Mini combined indicator stalk and fitting a series II handbrake as my left thumb doesn't work properly. I hope I'll be able to continue to drive it for some considerable time. You can contact through the West Sussex branch if you want any further info.
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Yes, I noticed the van-type rims (similar to the LP917s fitted to mine). Yours looked to be in very nice order, and great to see another FMF ...J out and about! :D I'm guessing both of ours may have been supplied by the same dealer, to have such similar registrations...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

Did anyone take any pictures for those of us that couldn't make it ?