Scammer beware!

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
288NNM
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Scammer beware!

Post by 288NNM »

Hi all,
I have just contacted Commer a newbie who asked me to contact him regarding a person called Jamie. When I contacted him he said he had been scammed by a man from Glasgow who purported to have two rear wings for sale on I believe the Gumtree website for a Dodge truck and could send them to Northern Ireland via courier. Billy I assume had advertised on Gumtree for these items, but needed payment first by bank transfer. "Billy" said he sent the money by bank transfer and whilst waiting for his goods received further correspondence from a Mr Wightman with two images of a Morris Minor which his father had had. On the death of Mr Wightman's father he needed to sell the car quickly as he required cash and wondered if Billy was interested or had any friends that might be. Interestingly the registration for the Morris was 288 NNM. My cars registration which I have recently purchased off the "Cars and Classic" website. I suspect the scammer got the images off Cars and Classic and mailed Billy with the story to try and go for much bigger fish.
Please look out for anyone who comes from around Glasgow and is called Jamie Wightman although he could change names and locations. I think he scammed Billy because Billy took a leap of faith and sent cash to him without seeing the goods with them being in Scotland to Northern Ireland. I assume Mr Wightman checked Car and Classic and saw a possible further scam. I have only recently bought the vehicle from a lovely old couple who thankfully did not have a scamming bone in their bodies. And were the most genuine couple you could ever like to meet and do business with.
Regards,
Paul
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Re: Scammer beware!

Post by POMMReg »

Request chassis,body & engine numbers before any thought of purchase, weeds out the scammers.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
omegaman100
Minor Friendly

Re: Scammer beware!

Post by omegaman100 »

I always request pictures with the same days newspapers or similar since I myself was scammed for £330