is it just me or does none of this look correct ?

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
trabant
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

is it just me or does none of this look correct ?

Post by trabant »

Right didn't really know where to post this. This listing. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/262271123603 appeared on ebay initially with no pics sounded interesting and was relatively local. Pics have now been added but nothing on either of these looks right or I it just me ???

The convertibles shell has no trafficator slots ? Ok maybe filled over but just looks all wrong to me. The saloon late rear lights 948 lump ? Windscreen wiper motor ? Fresh air intake pipe hole in bulkhead ?

Thoughts please before I waste my time viewing them.

TDV102
Minor Addict

Re: is it just me or does none of this look correct ?

Post by TDV102 »

The blue one is a real bitsa - engine bay is a later model for sure. The convertible also has too many discrepancies. Parts cars only if it were me. Neither is early 50s.
Good home offered for custom splittie
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

just up the road from me,have asked for a viewing,and will report
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The blue car certainly looks like a late 1098 car in every detail except the roof/front/rear windscreens. It seems unlikely that anyone would go to the trouble of fitting the roof from an early car (it would be a lot of work around the scuttle/dashboard area!) but what other explanation is there? I cannot see the longer rear body moulding (yes, the famous LBM!) on this car either which also suggests a later shell.....

The convertible looks much more correct for the age (juke box dash etc) although as said above the trafficator slots are not visible but is a converted saloon because the rear body moulding, which is part of the roof, is still present. It wouldn't be on an original convertible where the hood would be attached to timber sections instead.

I don't personally see £950 worth there.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Oh my word, where does one start?

Makes that "Updated using newer parts" Traveller look a good un'....

All the above; blue saloon with clipped WMP, solenoid, oval vin plate - whether 2 cell "see engine" or single "BS1965" I don't know - as for the "konvertabel" who knows, LBM feature added mid 1951(ish?) where hood cover "press buttons" were affixed to....

Mr.K. can you write down vins, body & engine numbers please - engine on blue thing looks like a 10V to me(?).

Chris
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
trabant
Minor Fan

Post by trabant »

There's been a heck of a lot of this on ebay lately I spotted a 1959 1000 last week in rose taupe with late vinyl interior doubt it was a prototype lol. I'm a little concerned that a lot of this may be being done to make complete heaps MOT exempt

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

trabant wrote:There's been a heck of a lot of this on ebay lately I spotted a 1959 1000 last week in rose taupe with late vinyl interior doubt it was a prototype lol. I'm a little concerned that a lot of this may be being done to make complete heaps MOT exempt
Load's of early '60s (and later) Minor's have "aged" since the pre-1/1/60 MoT exemption thing came in.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Stopping this sort of misdemeanour is as difficult as rubbing off all the rude words from every public bog door in the world. One of the reasons being, if done to detail it is undetectable.

trabant
Minor Fan

Post by trabant »

I thinks that's actually half the bother its never done to detail its bang any pre 1960 ID on any minor you like bad for two reason those who don't know and just fancy a minor will believe what they are told and because good cars are being ruined for the sake of making a few quid. Blame for this undoubtedly falls at the door of the DVLA who have shut pretty much all there offices meaning cars aren't being inspected.