1968 Police Morris Minor

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cplnobbie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1968 Police Morris Minor

Post by cplnobbie »

Mark Wilson wrote:Can't remember if you have anywhere to work on it, but if you have, think about doing a lot of it yourself. I'd never welded before I started on mine, but I've now done all the floors, cross member, chassis legs, spring hangers, sills, flitches, boot. It's a great stress buster, like doing a three dimensional crossword. You can go to evening classes, or there's good material online. Look at the job you did on the rocker cover, you've got the ability, just need to scale it up. And there's no hurry - I'm in my fifth year, and there's slower than me on here! (I'm not actually all that slow, just that I've a lot of other things in my life so drop onto the car when it's convenient)

Hi Mark,
I only have a drive to work on It and think It might be loud If I start to cut and grind< I do have a grinder though, there are jobs I could do whilst saving ie drop the rear suspension out and rub down and repaint the axle, I already have bought the poly bushes for the whole rear suspension, Just depends If It's easy to get off.

Regards
Anthony
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Now you're talking :D
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

Is it really that bad ?
I don't think it would ever win a beauty contest and will not last forever, but nothing does , but so long as it is a strong and safe can't you work with what you have . Yes there are better ways of doing it , if you have enough money and would spend more than the car is worth . So the outer panels will need a bit more filler , so what . Perhaps you could achieve a tidy minor for a sensible price that you are not scared to use .
Just thought I would throw in another view .
Good luck

cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Big Jim wrote:Is it really that bad ?
I don't think it would ever win a beauty contest and will not last forever, but nothing does , but so long as it is a strong and safe can't you work with what you have . Yes there are better ways of doing it , if you have enough money and would spend more than the car is worth . So the outer panels will need a bit more filler , so what . Perhaps you could achieve a tidy minor for a sensible price that you are not scared to use .
Just thought I would throw in another view .
Good luck
Put it this way it's not been used for years and I'd say it needs a complete strip down just so I'd know it's been done right
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

One thing I will advise is you don't do everything at once. Making a list of jobs and ticking them off as you helps. If you take it all apart at once you'll just lend up with aload of parts. Is this your 1st project of this size?
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

greendefender123 wrote:One thing I will advise is you don't do everything at once. Making a list of jobs and ticking them off as you helps. If you take it all apart at once you'll just lend up with aload of parts. Is this your 1st project of this size?

Yes it is but I did once take out a fiesta engine stripped it right down and did the clutch rebuilt over many evenings but it went
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Fuel tank after shot blasting, Can I fill the small holes with filler for a smooth finish[frame]Image[/frame]
I did spray the under with yellow filler primer but It's just shown up the little pits
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

I defiantly wouldn't give up on it as long as it drives straight looks good it doesn't matter
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Johnd103 wrote:I defiantly wouldn't give up on it as long as it drives straight looks good it doesn't matter

No idea If It drives straight as Its never been driven for quite a few years all the brakes need sorting as does the whole underneath
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

The New radiator sorted[frame]Image[/frame]
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Just seen this Is It worth me doing ?

Health & Safety related to fabrication and welding. Instruction and practice for Oxy- Acetylene Welding. Instruction and practice for M.I.G. welding. Forming techniques for thin plate fabrication. Work on individual student projects if required.

Regards
Anthony
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Yes the welding training will help loads. I taught myself and had a friend show me but that was on box section. H & S side I wouldn't worry to much when you come to do it as you might find your limited on it. Thats mainly for in the workplace tho will give you good tips. You can get cheapish good welders that people seem to get on well with. It's the fabrication side that takes the time. Loads of tips online for welding.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

greendefender123 wrote:Yes the welding training will help loads. I taught myself and had a friend show me but that was on box section. H & S side I wouldn't worry to much when you come to do it as you might find your limited on it. Thats mainly for in the workplace tho will give you good tips. You can get cheapish good welders that people seem to get on well with. It's the fabrication side that takes the time. Loads of tips online for welding.
Its a 12 week course at my local collage
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Hello, how are you getting on? Anymore updates?
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

greendefender123 wrote:Hello, how are you getting on? Anymore updates?

Hi there no updates at the moment I'm afraid but I still have the car lol, it's wrapped up on my drive still at the moment
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Oh thats a shame hopefully you won't give it and that the car will see the open road again.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Still have the car sitting on drive on axle stands have just spend £140 on a all season car cover which is breathable so I can say I'm not giving up on her
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Always great to come home after a late shift to find your other half has reversed into my morris and knocking it off it's jacks on concrete as wheels had been taken off,it's now sitting on concrete not sure what damage has been done yet :o
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Little update

I still have my 68 Morris sitting on the drive but looks like she might be going of to get fully welded
cplnobbie
Minor Fan

Post by cplnobbie »

Update 16th Feb 2019

My Morris has gone to Chersty Morris Minors to do the welding