First attempt at start up

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
vee12jag
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

First attempt at start up

Post by vee12jag »

Hi guys, after 18 months of work restoring my 56 Series 2, I tried to fire her up today. Unfortunately I'm not getting fuel from the tank to the pump.
The (newly rebuilt) pump is running fine but not pumping fuel through.
The only thing I can think of is that I may not have enough fuel in the tank to prime the pump. I put 5 litres in this morning.
Should I try more fuel or is it likely to be something else, like the pump?
Thanks in advance.
Mark
panky
Minor Legend

Re: First attempt at start up

Post by panky »

I think you will need a little more fuel for the pump to suck on, a gallon will only be a couple of inches in the tank. But you could try blowing into the tank while the pump is running to give it an extra push to get it moving.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

As Panky suggests I would try blowing into the tank, but I would try from the pump connection first and have someone listen at the petrol cap end to hear if there is any movement in the tank end. There is a little filter in the tank that you cant get at and when it dries out can clog up. Sometimes a blow and being left soaking in petrol is enough to loosen it up.

I had one were I fitted a second hand tank that hadnt been used for many years and I connected a short piece of petrol pipe onto a foot pump and got it to shift that way, i thought an airline may be a bit harsh.

Too many Minors so little time.....
vee12jag
Minor Friendly

Post by vee12jag »

Aah, thanks for that. Hadn't realised that there's a filter in the tank. Bet I clogged it when I sealed the tank! Is it easy enough to get out via the fuel gauge sender hole? I suppose I'll have to drain the tank now too.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Check out page 4 on here, this shows a real rusty tank and whats on the inside

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 4&start=45

The filter cant be got at so will hopefully blow out for you. Was it the Frost Tank Sealant you used? Let us know how you get on.

Too many Minors so little time.....
vee12jag
Minor Friendly

Post by vee12jag »

Thanks for your help guys. We found that the filter was blocked as suggested. Couldn't blow it off though so resorted to punching a hole in it.. Result, fuel to the pump and carb! Not gushing but there nonetheless. However, engine will still not start. Have a good spark but no fuel to the plugs. Perhaps I need to adjust the jet in the HS1?
Appreciate any advise.
Thanks
Mark