3 breaking in West Wales (Pembrokeshire)

Found a Minor in a scrapyard? Let us all know about it and exactly where it can be found.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
warweezil
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

3 breaking in West Wales (Pembrokeshire)

Post by warweezil »

Some here may know that I work in a breakers yard.

Today my boss picked up 3 rusted Minor hulks, and while much of the bodywork is a write off there may be bits others can use, I have persuaded him to allow me to strip them as best I can rather than just crushing them - which is happening with other cars from the same place - they are part of a lot of 35 from a field, to give you a flavour, yesterday he collected the bare remains of 2 Moggy pick-ups that fell apart when disturbed from their long time resting place, pretty much all that remained of those were the rear axles.

So we have
1 '67/'68 (F reg) 2 door
1 '68/'69 (G reg) 2 door
1 '69/'70 (H reg) Traveller which surprisingly managed to survive the trip in one piece despite the wood looking like a good breeze would destroy the car, even the glass managed to stay intact.

I think there may also be 2 pick up Axles with springs in the yard, pressure of work means I have yet to look closely at any of this yet, I may try to fire up the engines if I get time later this week - assuming they turn over. From what I can see there may be a usable door or two, a salvageable boot-lid, stuff like that.

The cars are pretty far gone but if anyone local needs something, I'm happy to have a look for it, hopefully there will be some salvageable stuff. I'm not sure how long we will be keeping them, I'm hoping to start dismantling soon before pressure of space leads to the crusher, this is pretty much "my project" relating to trying to salvage parts from these 3. Enquiries via the forum or Pm is best, that way I know exactly what is wanted.
The voices in my head may not be real.... But they have some damn good ideas.
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 3 breaking in West Wales (Pembrokeshire)

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Which breakers yard,I live in Pelcomb cross,near Hwest
Regards
BrianR

warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

seriesmm_1 wrote:Which breakers yard,I live in Pelcomb cross,near Hwest
Regards
BrianR
Waterston Car Breakers - on Hazelbeach Road opposite the Dragon LNG plant - Google will show you where. If you were thinking of a Saturday visit please note the yard closes at 12.
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

warweezil did you get my pm? thanks :)

seriesmm_1
Minor Fan

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Thanks Wareweasle might pop in on Sat
Brianr

warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

seriesmm_1 wrote:Thanks Wareweasle might pop in on Sat
Brianr
was nice to meet you - and the guy from Neyland whose name escapes me, but I need to get in touch with him regarding a "round" heater unit for his car - so if he sees this. please drop me a PM.

Thanks.
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan

Post by seriesmm_1 »

Nice to meet you aswell,you should take a photo of your dash to show that unusual feature that you have,someone might put some light on it.
Dont forget to let me know about the other mogs coming in
Regards
BrianR

warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

I'll have to check the gallery - I'm sure there was one in there, there may be additions to the group later this week - we had a call about them this morning. Right now I am desperately trying to create space so they can be stored while I dismantle them, I may have to donate a couple of weekends to the boss in order to get the cars stripped to the degree I want to go.

I dont want to see them go to waste.
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

More sad piles of rust arrived today, along with a Triumph 2000 mk1 that had ceased to exist beyond its rear axle. Am I crazy for feeling angry? Most of the Morris' still wear their last tax disc and most seem to have been left to rot over the last 10 years, so up to that point they were viable cars, sadly now all that is left is to pick through them for whatever parts are usable. so cars that were once viable are reduced to a collection of a few salvageable or even less.

Today we had a 4 door arrive with no id marks at all no identity, no vin plate... no number plates.... no engine number... no body tags, I know its a 4 door clap hand that once had trafficators - the holes from that have been plugged with wood and side repeaters fitted in their place, there is another late -ish model I'm not sure if it is a 4 door, and a pile of twisted metal that was once a '70 2 door that will yield NO useful parts at all. I might pop some photos onto my gallery.

This job can be depressing, especially if you love older cars, and today I am very depressed.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I feel the same way about the wrecks lined up outside our local coal merchants. An old Dolomite, a Triumph, even the '80's Nova. He says they always meant to restore them but it's too late now. Such a shame.
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

I started dismantling a Red "G' reg 2 door today, This is another car that arrived this week.

Before starting on the dis-assembly I recommissioned the ignition system, put a can of clean fuel into the supply line and managed to get her running, had her going for over an hour, no overheating etc.. . So we have a sweet sounding 1098cc engine to remove. the clutch has seized so I couldn't do anything about checking the gearbox.

Ive started sorting through the bodywork so I can work out what is worth salvaging , the 4 wings and bootlid are beyond redemption I have dropped off the doors, the drivers one is quite bad but the passenger one is restorable. The bonnet outer shell is good although the inner brace has corroded to the point that it is detached. all of the "fixed glass" has been removed and stored. In the coming days I will remove the engine Gearbox rear axle, steering rack and front suspension. The parts will be stored together and hopefully this will be repeated for the other 3 cars.
warweezil
Minor Friendly

Post by warweezil »

It is worth noting that we have also acquired 2 very rusted MGB GT's from around 1980 if anyone knows of someone needing parts, I am also told there may be a split screen coming in restorable condition, but I have not yet seen it.
seriesmm_1
Minor Fan

Post by seriesmm_1 »

have sent you a pm

omegaman100
Minor Friendly

Post by omegaman100 »

im after a two door passenger side chrome frame? or at least a piece of it but don't mind buying the whole frame if its ok?