Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pip
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Brake lights

Post by pip »

Me brake lights aren't working!Is there an inline fuse from the brake switch or could it be a duff switch?Any way of testing switch with out taking it off(& where is it?)as don't want to have to bleed brakes unless I have too.

Ta very much
Pip
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Dodgy Brake Lights!

Post by Gareth »

Hello there!

Right, well electrical problems are either switches or contacts (assuming the bulbs are ok... :roll: ). It could be that the contacts / terminals on the switch have corroded, and are no longer making a decent contact.

At the front of the car, lean into the engine bay, and look to the left hand side of the radiator. Right in the corner, covered in I-don't-know-what will be the brake light switch.

Take the wires off, one at a time, and clean the spade terminals. Then try your brakes.

Failing that, you'll have to whip the switch out, and replace it. It's not uncommon for the units to fail, but it will probably be a bleeding brakes job, and for that, you'll have to speak to someone else, I'm afraid!!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
olonas

brake light switch

Post by olonas »

If you own or have access to an electrical multimeter, disconnect the wires, as Gareth says. Switch the multimeter to resistance, connect the test leads to each terminal. Get someone to press brake pedal, if meter needle doesn't move the switch is duff.
pip
Minor Friendly

Post by pip »

Thank you both.....and so quick too :D
ianselva
Minor Friendly

Post by ianselva »

Or just short the two switch wires together , with the ignition on. If the stoplights come on , your fault must be in the switch.
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Ian's way is the easiest - if you have a car with the later slide-on connectors, jam a bit of wire between the connectors to create a circuit
(the input wire is live). I didn't bleed the brakes - I just added a few drops of fluid into the new switch's cavity , keeping it upside down until the last moment.

If the switch is ok, it's probably a fault with the wiring. The most likely candidate is the black rubber double bullet connector (in the bundle of wires in the O/S corner of the boot). The single wire from the stop switch goes into it & a wire goes to each stop light. This single wire can come loose.