1969 Convertible Reawakening XPK 794G

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1969 Convertible Reawakening XPK 794G

Post by ManyMinors »

That sounds fairly simple then. I agree with you. Try and keep it all to the original specification. If you have all the correct parts and in working order, all should be well :) Happy days!
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by svenedin »

ESM had tested the engine and rated it as good. Not worn out and no excessive blow-by. However, despite fiddling with the PCV the car still leaks oil from the rear scroll and in fact leaks more oil when the PCV is connected up than it does just vented to atmosphere! I would have been inclined to try a different PCV but ESM advised to try a breather carburettor and connect the chimney tappet chest breather to the carb. To get this sorted I agreed to that (reluctantly) but in my own time I will almost certainly try another Smiths PCV. ESM's view is that the PCV type setup often does not work that well and they have even seen newly refurbished engines leak with a PCV (but not with a breather carb). I always understood it was the best of the breather setups that were used in the Minor and the valve is really rather clever (being designed to give a constant low vacuum regardless of engine vacuum/load).
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Car is back and no oil leaks. Hurray!

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Xavier broke down today. I had just filled up with petrol and was pulling back out onto the main road. The car stalled, would not re-start. Awkward. No hazard lights of course, other drivers hooting me angrily. Bonnet up, check everything connected OK. Looks fine. Try again, turns over briskly but will not start. Thinking oh dear, will have to call the AA. Then thought, hang on, I can't hear the fuel pump ticking. Investigated. The AUA 66 SU fuel pump quite a modern one with the spark suppressor Zener diode and hump in the cap. Noticed cap not seated properly. Removed cap (not easy without a spanner as there is a nut holding the cap on as well as the thumb knob). Noticed the Zener diode was squashed onto the points. Moved it out the way, reconnected the power without the cap and back in the car. Tick, tick, tick, vroom. Fixed. in 5 minutes.

Moral, with these pumps the Zener diode must be very carefully located so that it sits in the hump in the top cap. If not, it can obstruct the points when the cap is replaced. Also the tags on the diode are brittle and snap when trying to adjust the position and they cost £8 each. I know because the connectors snapped off mine when I tried to adjust back home. No diode for now. It's only a spark suppressor to prolong the life of the points.

Stephen
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Don't run long without the cover in place. The points axis pin can work its way out. The cover is the only thing holding it in place.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Thanks for the tip. I did not know that but it was only 10 minutes to get home and now the cover is back on.

Also, though heretical to me I might convert one of my spare SU AUA66 fuel pumps to electronic and try it out. Positive earth of course!

Stephen
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

About 40 miles in the car today. Surrey/Kent Hills (North Downs). Long declines/inclines, bendy roads, a lot of gearbox work. A challenge to any old car and -2C as well. 20 miles back top down. Chilly but worth it. Easily kept up with the traffic and caught up with cars. I know the roads so well.

I thought the idling was rough when the car first came back from ESM. A full tank of fuel and lead replacement (Castrol Valvemaster) seems to have sorted this or maybe it was the hard run today. Rebuilt gearbox I also thought was a bit rough, especially coming out of first into second. Also better and I am advised will need a gearbox oil change at 500 miles.

My impression is Xavier runs "quite well" but does not pull as well up a hill as he did in his prime. I think this is an ignition timing advance/retard dizzy issue. In due course I am going to fit an Accuspark dizzy. I know the distributor is old and worn so changing to a new distributor with the electronic module already fitted seems attractive. My father fitted his 1960's Mercedes with electronic ignition in the 1970's and was delighted with it so I have little hesitation in doing this.
IMG_9430.jpeg
IMG_9430.jpeg (3.93 MiB) Viewed 3123 times

Stephen
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

morning Stephen

hope you dont mind me jumping on your posts, but this week i am attempting to put the quarter light windows in, can you take some pics of your quarter lights open and closed for me and post them so i can see which way i need to fit the rubber ?

many thanks Glenn
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

I don't mind at all! I cannot change that the forum has rotated the pictures.
IMG_9442.jpeg
IMG_9442.jpeg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 3096 times
IMG_9441.jpeg
IMG_9441.jpeg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 3096 times
IMG_9440.jpeg
IMG_9440.jpeg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 3096 times
IMG_9439.jpeg
IMG_9439.jpeg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 3096 times
IMG_9438.jpeg
IMG_9438.jpeg (2.91 MiB) Viewed 3096 times

Stephen
glenn1
Minor Friendly

Post by glenn1 »

thanks Stephen

that will help me out no end, sadly when ESM deliver the seals they are not marked left or right, and i was confused as to which way round the window opened, but this will be perfect thank you

Glenn